Chapter 15 - Beneath the earth

(A change of perspective)

(In case you want it)

Armada

The ground quaked beneath my feet. I was just able to put two and two together before hundreds of tons of stone and metal fell on top of me.

By miracle I lived. The steelwork that prevented the mountain from caving in failed, no doubt on that. However It did make a series of tunnels throughout the cave in. I just so happened to of been positioned right where one formed.

I wander through this just built labyrinth. If I could only find the maintenance tunnel. I could get a clear shot right to New York. Perhaps deal with their latest visitor. 

I should find Colin first, as soon as I get out of here. Thorn is no doubt on the surface hunting for anyone who escaped. I can only fathom what would happen if they found him. First I need to get out of here. The tunnel should be about-

"Hey," A voice called out, "Is anyone there."

The sudden sound startles me. Without much though I head towards the man. When I start to hear scattering of pebbles do I finally pull out a pistol from a holster at my side. 

I put myself in a ready stance before turning the corner. I lower my gun at who it is. Nicolas and I stare at each other, processing how the other is alive. He's trapped under some rubble. Two soldiers are already trying to get him out.

"Well," He says, "Gimme a hand will ya?"

Without hesitation I join the two soldiers in hoisting the metal beam off of Holt. With our combined strength we manage to make enough space for Nickolas to crawl free.

He tries to stand but stumbles back down. One of the soldiers catch him.

"Private," I call to him

He looks up, "Sir?"

"You help carry my friend here," I explain, "Me and your colleague here are going to patrol ahead. See if there are any intruders that might have survived the initial cave in."

He nods before me and the other soldier move onward. I pull my gun from its holster. It's silver paint reflecting the few lights that flicker throughout the tunnels. We make subtle progress without any problem. Though time was running short. The groaning of the metal rung out every minute or so.

When we start to hear voices I raise my left hand. Pushing against the wall to my right. They soon stop right behind me as I peek my eye around the corner. I sigh in annoyance when I recognize the triangular logo of Thorn. I signaled to the three, two if you count the battle ready factor, soldiers that there is a threat just one turn away.

The soldier walking with me pulled a black rifle from his back. The one with Holt only nodded, as his hands were full. Nickolas though had one hand he could just barley use. So he pulled a pistol from his jacket pocket, nodding to me before I turned around. Using the wall as a barrier, I pulled the gun up. I took aim for the platoon lieutenant. I took a breath and pulled the trigger.

The sound boomed around the vicinity. No doubt alerting anyone else of our presents. The lieutenant's head jolted back before crumbling to the floor. The three soldiers with him quickly caught on to what was happening and blindly fired in my direction. Rookie move. When I heard the rain of gunfire come to an end and the sound of metal landing on the ground do I run to the other side of the corner. 

They didn't even see me they were too focused on reloading. Taking the opportunity me and the soldier who took my original corner fired on the unfortunate attackers. They quickly joined their lieutenant on the floor. We make no time in hesitation before moving onward. There is no doubt that soldiers from both my company and Thorn are on their way. I don't intend on going out in crossfire.