Chapter 24

A quarter of an hour later Jungkook made his way to seo Hyun's apartments

A quarter of an hour later Jungkook made his way to seo Hyun's apartments. He had already detailed members of his personal bodyguard to search them and then to stand guard outside until he arrived.

"We have searched the chambers. It is safe for you to enter, Majesty."

"And you've said nothing of what has occurred?"

"No, your majesty"

"Did she mention her son"

"No."

As the guards swung the double doors open to admit him, Jungkook knew the task ahead of him was far more distasteful than any battle. Given what the captain of his guard had said, it seemed that seo Hyun didn't yet ready to believe his son's or not wants to hear her son's summary execution or the reasons for it. She was standing in the middle of the chamber in which in happier times she had held parties and celebrations, and where by the soft light of oil lamps she had fondly told him the stories of his teenage that never bored him. Her expression now was anxious.

'Jungkook, what is going on? Why am I suddenly a prisoner?' Her clear brown eyes fixed on his face were genuinely puzzled.

"Mother, all my life you have been as a mother to me. What I have to say isn't easy, so let me be direct. An hour ago your son murdered my commander of army,Jung hoseok, then burst armed into the chamber intending to kill me also."

"No." She spoke so softly that the one word was almost inaudible. Blindly she reached out to catch at something to support her,

"There is more. Junghyun challenged me to combat. I defeated him in a fair fight and then I ordered his immediate death - the death of a traitor."

"Seo Hyun was shaking her head slowly from side to side and making a pitiful sound between a whimper and a wail.

"Tell me he isn't dead," She sobbed at last.Jungkook came closer.

"I had no choice. I had him flung headlong from the walls. Not only did I have the evidence of my own eyes but he boasted to me of his other crimes - the girls destined for my palace whom he seized from spite and jealousy and then had killed. Even worse, he taunted me that he was the author of Min Yoongi's death. Such arrogance and ambition could not go unpunished . . . what else could I do but have him executed?'

"No!" This time the word was a shriek. "I gave you my milk when you were a baby. I risked my life to protect you many times. And you betray me by slaughtering my only son - your own-brother! I have nourished a viper at my bosom, a devil.", Seo Hyun fell to the floor, clawing hysterically first at the rich red rug, then at Jungkook, ripping at his calves with her nails and drawing blood as red as the carpet.

'Guards!' Jungkook could not bear to lay hands on her himself.

"Be gentle with her. She is hysterical with shock and grief." Two of his men pulled her away from him. In a moment she broke free but made no further attempt to attack him. Instead, she just knelt there, rocking back and forth, arms wrapped tightly around herself.