Chapter 1 - Hard to Accept The News | He says yes?

You and Neteyam were best friends. He had known you since he was 5 years old. Being without your biological parents, you always envied the connection Neteyam had with his parents. But you had Norm to raise you. He was a good father figure, supportive as well. He found you at the bottom of a tree, when he was getting samples of the network the trees hold. He talked about that to Jake. In your early childhood, Norm often took you out of the lab to go play with Neteyam & his siblings.

When you grew to be a teen, you sort of came out to him. You didn't know the term yet, because of spending most of the time with your friends who's language had no word for it, until he explained. He accepted you, but also gave you a proper binder instead of just being uneducated and letting you bind your chest with bandages. When you came out to your friends, they were okay with it. It wasn't common, but it was normal. It wasn't considered "taboo" in Na'vi culture.

"Hey!" Neteyam called out, waving his hand up high. He saw you weaving some baskets with Kiri. "Oh, hey." You replied with a smile. Neteyam approached you both and sighed, "Kiri. Dad has some..news." News? What News? "He told me and Lo'ak that, because of the increase in sightings of the RDA, we have to.." "Move to a new home."
Your heart dropped. Your face instantly lost all the joy it had before. "What?" You asked with a worried expression.
"Where?" You asked worriedly.
"Awa'atlu." Neteyam answered,
"A village in the Metkayina Clan."
"But that's so far away!" Kiri complained alongside you.
"I know."

A couple hours pass. Just before you thought you would say your final goodbyes, you were sitting next to Neteyam on the tiny river he used to practice hunting in. "How will I ever see you again? What if I can't?" You cried, looking at him. "It's okay," He put his hand on your shoulder. "you will always have me with you." He gently held his and your necklace, which was a gift for you on your 14th birthday, a friendship necklace. "I know, but sometimes I wish i could just go with you." You replied, looking up at the sky, with hopelessness seen very clearly in your eyes. Neteyam had an idea.
"What if...you could? Have you tried asking Norm?"
"No..but it's not likely he would say yes."
"Then try. I am sure you can figure something out."
"But what if-" You said.
"But what if he says yes." Neteyam interrupted you.
"..If he does, meet me at High Camp." He said with a sigh.
You sigh. "I'll think about it." Actually, you didn't think about it. Shortly after, you said you were going to go make more baskets with Kiri, but you actually went back to Norm. "Dad, can I go with Neteyam to Awa'atlu?" You asked, your eyes begging for a "yes".  "Uh, why?" He asked. "Because I don't know if I can ever see him again."

"Sorry, kid, but I still have to know when you're okay. I can't know if you're okay when you're all across the entire planet."
"Please, dad. I can't imagine life without him."
"..You still haven't gotten over your crush on him?"
"No.."
"But even if I have and  now just see him as a friend, I'd still want to go."
"..Okay. But, here-" He handed you a waterproof watch.
"What's this for?"
"A tracker with complete data on your health. You don't have to wear it all the time."
Your face lit up with happiness.
"So, that means I can go?"
"Yes.." Norm said with a slight sigh. You hugged him instantly.
"Thanks, dad.."

You rushed to High Camp, in the Hallelujah Mountains. You knew you'd find Neteyam there. You saw him sitting with Lo'ak and Tuk, looking a bit down. "Neteyam, Neteyam!" You called, waving your hand up high with a smile. His eyes widened and it looked like he was gesturing he'd come back to Lo'ak and Tuk later. He approached you, with lips that slightly curved upwards. "So..yes?" He asked. "Yes! He said yes!" You said happily.

Notes : sorry this chapter was so short