Chapter 1: Live Attack

Late January...

As I was walking down the street, heading home from school, I noticed a crowd gathering nearby. What's that all about?

While I walked by, I gazed at the crowd, noticing a small gap between the people. I managed to see a female reporter through it. She had cameras on either side and in front of her. It sounds like she's reporting on the weather.

I pulled the hood of my jacket over my head, tucked my hands into my pockets, fiddling the things I had inside them, and continued walking.

I only took a few steps away from the audience.

Once I reached the crosswalk, I pressed the button and waited for the crosswalk signal to appear on other side of the street. Right when it changed and I was about to go, I heard a very loud shriek. I looked behind me and saw the once large crowd frantically scatter.

As the area slightly cleared, I spotted the reporter on the ground.

And on top of her...a devil.

People started to run right past me, fleeing in fear. I stood still, watching the bloody scene before me with a blank face.

For a brief moment, the devil stopped sucking the reporter's blood and looked around. When they noticed I was watching them, they fixated their gaze on me. I continued to stare, standing still, completely stoic. I didn't look away for a split second.

Before I knew it, they got up from the ground and bolted towards me.

They got closer...and closer...and closer.

As they were closing in, they held their claws out, ready to attack. Before I could retrieve the item I had in my pocket, the devil was suddenly tackled to the ground. I watched as a man quickly placed the devil in handcuffs...and they didn't resist.

Before I could approach, the man held his arm out and said, "Stand back Miss. He's dangerous right now." I watched as he took out what looked like a tranquilizer from his jacket and injected it into the transformed devil. I could see them begin to tear as they slowly started to calm down.

After a few moments, they stopped being hysterical and slowly transformed back into their human form.

"This is Takashi Sawazaki of F Squad. I've restrained and tranqued the devil spotted at the main plaza."

F Squad?

After—Sawazaki—reported through the earpiece he had on, some police cars promptly arrived to the crime scene. As the officers apprehended the transformed devil, I turned around and started to walk away. There's nothing for me to do here.

When the transformed devil was placed in a cop car and medical attention was given to the reporter, Sawazaki turned around, wanting to question Y/N, but she was gone. "She disappeared! Could she have been a devil too? She hardly reacted from almost being attacked..."

The rest of the F Squad arrived at the scene minutes later. Hans Lee and Juliana went up to the devil to see if they had any severe injuries. Anzai noticed how pensive Sawazaki was.

"What's wrong Sawazaki?"

"..."

•~•~•~•~•~•

I managed to make it home safely after that attack that took place in the city. When I got to my building, I went up to the 3rd floor and to my door. I rummaged through my pockets, trying to get my key card out.

When I took it out, I looked down at it momentarily. I sighed, then turned around and went up to the tall, cement ledge. I placed the card down on the flat surface and stared into the distance.

Civilians are walking about...several cars are passing by...I can hear some of them honking...

After a few moments, I looked down at my key card, then finally grabbed it and went inside my home.

I took my shoes off, then walked in and reached into my pockets. Approaching my small dining table, I placed the items atop it:

4 syringes with protective plastic coverings over the needles.

The contents...

The results of many inhumane experiments.

I stared at the syringes, then went to my bedroom. I went into my closet and crouched down, moving some of my things aside. I reached for and removed a piece of the wall, setting it aside, then retrieved a special cooler I keep hidden behind there.

With the cooler in my hands, I got back up, then returned to the living room and set it down on the dining table. I input the 6-digit code, opened it, and carefully placed the syringes into the small slots inside.

Once they were securely placed, I closed the cooler, then returned to my bedroom and hid it behind the wall again.

After I organized everything, I returned to the living room and went into the kitchen. I washed my hands, dried my hands with a paper towel, then opened the fridge, looking for ingredients to make some stew for dinner. I need something to warm me up.

____________________

The next afternoon...4:00pm...

"Alright, that's all for today class. You are dismissed."

I gathered my things, put them in my backpack, then zipped it up. I got up from my seat, then reached for my jacket that was hanging on my chair and put it on. I grabbed my backpack, put it on my back, and just as I was about to make my way to the door, someone suddenly barged into the classroom and asked,

"Is there a student here named Y/N???"

I furrowed my eyebrows. Why were they asking for me? I don't even know who they are.

"Uhh, yes, she's right over there," answered the professor, looking in my direction.

The student immediately rushed to me and asked,

"Why haven't you gone to the police???"

"I have no reason to," I answered.

"Yes you do! A vampire almost attacked you!!!"

The rustling sound of people gathering their things to leave the classroom stopped.

It was dead silent.

The student took their phone out and quickly showed me a video of what happened yesterday. The camera used to broadcast the news was dropped, but it didn't break. It was still recording...and it was aimed in my direction.

Although I was at a distance from where the camera was, the quality was decent enough to make out my face. It caught the devil rushing towards me, wanting to attack.

"Why didn't you run away? Weren't you scared?"

I glanced at the student blankly, then walked away from them, not saying another word.

"What was that all about?" asked another student.

"Watch this!"

Luckily, that was my last class of the day. As soon as I was outside, I took one of the backpack straps off my shoulder and opened it, taking out my scarf. I closed it again, put the strap over my shoulder, then wrapped my scarf loosely around my neck. I pulled it upward to cover the bottom half of my face. Just as quickly, I put on the hood of my jacket over my head. I don't want anyone else recognizing me.