Mr Charming

It was a bright, bright morning!

 I woke up to the beeping sound of my bedside alarm - it was extra loud and melodious today! Partly because I was well rested, and partly because it was my very first day as a full-fledged adult. Having gone through a whole series of interviews and assessment centers, I received the pleasant call of success just last month. Ever since, I had been eager to start my day as a paid worker.

Shrugging my thoughts aside, I hulled myself out of bed, getting a good stretch to start the morning before skipping my way to the bathroom to wash up.

---

I extended my arm, feeling the tightness of my new blazer around my torso - signalling an urgent need to watch my diet for the coming weeks or I would have to resort to another purchase soon - something my bleeding bank could not stomach. With a huff, I flagged down the incoming taxi and announced my workplace to the driver, as he whisked us both down the busy lanes at a speed, a little too fast to my liking. 

---

Soon, I ambled my way into the bright corporate building, the pristine sharp smell of sanitiser entered my nose, mixed with it, a light glaze of vanilla sweetness - interesting choice for a office lobby scent - I noted. I made my way to the front of the concierge where a short line greeted me, and hopped in line, to register my presence.

The lady behind the desk had a rounded, glowy face, her face was expressionless as the person she tended to left, but right as her eyes fell upon me, a renewed smile which flashed her pearly whites greeted me, as she uttered a phrase she seemed ever so acquainted with, " Hi! How may I help you this morning?" I grinned and proudly handed over my mobile device displaying my email proof of onboarding at my company. She did a quick scan and ushered me to the lift where another lady decked in professional concierge fit brought me up. 

" Good luck for your first day." The lady remarked with a slight smile before she disappeared back into the lift, now with me standing alone at the 26th floor. 

I scanned my environment, unsure of what to expect. There was another glass door I had to pass, but it seemed to require a card authorisation of sorts - which I did not yet possess.

Just as I started to mildly panic, the glass door opened as I felt the slight breeze of the air condition hit my skin. When I looked up, I saw a male, decked in professional attire. He stood tall, his stature looming over me. I noticed his broad shoulders and his strong, upright posture which exuded a sense of authority. I shyly yet curiously peeked upwards, wondering what his face would spell.

I felt my heart beat with intensity as I cast my gaze upon this person who had defined features. His facial structure was characterized by strong, well-defined lines that conveyed a sense of strength and determination. His jawline, chiseled and prominent, added a touch of rugged masculinity to his overall appearance, and his eyes, framed by expressive eyebrows, were sharp and attentive, revealing both intelligence and depth. 

"Ahem... New here? I don't think I've seen you around." His voice was calm and velvet-like. It brought me back to reality, snapping me out of my shameful attempt at blatantly admiring his whole being. 

"Ah, Yes! Thank you! " I blurted out, scurrying past him. I immediately felt how awkward that must have seemed and wanted to bury myself right there. 

Before I could glance back and face the awkward scenario I had just caused, a middle-aged lady came to my rescue, as she called out my name - assumingly, she was the staff in-charge of onboarding that day. 

"Hi, Welcome! I am Meryl, the HR lady here to bring you on-board. You must be Evelyn." I immediately turned my attention to her as she whisked me away for a mandatory briefing.

---

"Alright, that should be all the papers we need signed for this morning! I will now bring you back to your department and show you the team you'll be working with, Evenlyn!"

Meryl finally wrapped up after an hour long signing of documents and briefs. She guided me past rows of desks, a pristinely maintained pantry, copious meeting rooms, and finally past a long mural of sustainability designs and into a smaller neighbourhood of desks piled in a group-like formation.

There were about 5 colleagues there, big-eyed and anticipating who their new colleague would be.

" Hello, I am Noah. I am the director of the team. I typically work with the vice-directors - Hannah and Lucas. Hannah is in charge of Europe markets and Lucas is in charge of the Asian markets. We have Bruno assisting Hannah and you'll be assisting Lucas."

Noah, who resembled a big brown bear, introduced the team to me. As he did, he pointed to the colleagues in question. I nodded attentively, trying to make a mental note of the names and areas each teammate was in charge of. I was apparently tied to Lucas, under Asian markets. I looked up, my eyes scanning the group, attempting to locate where Noah's finger was gesturing at. 

Two dark green eyes found mine - amusement dancing within them. I felt my heart stop in that moment as realisation dawned upon me. This is going to be awkward.