To Defy An Alpha

Prologue:

Arella took a deep shaking breath as she heard the shouts coming from inside the house. Every night, she sat on the back porch, staring at the distant stars as her step-father bellowed at her mother and her mother screamed at her step-father, Paul.

This life had been good once, she could still remember the days when they first married. Paul would bring home gifts, a string of diamonds for his wife and a giant stuffed animal for his step-daughter. For a while, life was perfect.

Then, for some reason, everything changed.

It began slowly, the gifts ceased and there were a few arguments here and there. It escalated, and now, every night they would stand and scream at each other, and undoubtedly, Arella would hear the sound of skin contact Paul hit her mother or the sound of a thrown plate smash against the wall.

She had just graduated high school two and a half weeks ago, and her home was already becoming unbearable. She had plans to attend a community college at the end of summer, but Arella knew that she could not stay in this house any longer.

Her parents’ fights were escalating, and she could no longer ignore the violence. She knew that she would have to leave her mother behind, and it hurt her.

Arella and her mother had never been close, and with the addition of Paul, they had grown even more distant. Once, Arella had tried to confront her mother about the situation with Paul, but even with the violence and hate, she would leave Paul.

So this was her only decision, to leave the only family that she had ever known. Her birth father had never been in the picture, and Arella suspected that her mother had never even told him about his child.

There was a small box hidden in her mother’s closet that she had found a few years ago. It contained a picture of her mother and who she assumed was her father with the words, Elizabeth and Carter- 1993, scrawled in foreign handwriting. The box also contained Arella’s birth certificate and a few papers with some information on them.

At one time, Arella had been tempted to find her real father, but the thought had been pushed aside because she was happy with Paul, her mother, and her life. Now, however, the idea was beginning to resurface.

The angry sounds within the house had ceased and Arella figured that her mother had left. It was the same event every night. After hours of angry fighting, her mother would storm out and drive around the neighborhood while Paul would slink to the basement where he would watch sports while drinking himself into a stupor.

She stood slowly and walked over to the sliding glass door, opening it as quietly as she possibly could. She didn’t want to disturb Paul; his violent edge tended to be heightened when he drank, and she had learned that the hard way.

After she crept through the door, Arella shuffled quickly up the stairs and into her mother’s bedroom.

The closet door was open so she rushed in, reaching up to the highest shelf where an oak box was sitting, a layer of dust covering its lid. Arella snatched it and hurriedly walked into her own room, closing and locking the door behind her.

She pulled a large, red duffle bag out from under her bed and began stuffing all of her clothes and important personal items into the bag. Nervousness rushed through her skin at the thought of what she was about to do. She was going to find her father.

She didn’t know, however, what else she was going to find.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello, all!!

So this is my first story on Wattpad, and I would really appreciate feedback!

Thanks!!! :)