Ralph and Marie

Marie and her Fuckface husband:

I have to talk to you (he told her.)

Ok

I'm in love

Oh that's nice

No, I mean I'm really in love

Nice

No, I mean...

What do you mean?

I am in love with someone I met this woman

I don't even know what you mean

I'm not sure I do either. I don't know how it happened. I'm in love.

Good for you.

Good for me? I'm leaving.

Okay.

Okay? That's all you have to say? I'm telling you I'm in love. I'll make sure nothing changes.

Did you tell her?

About you?

No, I don't care about that shit, did you tell your kid?

No

Maybe you should

I'll get my things and go (He'd just slept with her two days ago. What was that? Stay calm. Stay- she went to the bathroom and threw up. He had gone to get his things.)

Why are you doing this to Cookie?

It's out of my control. It's love.

Fuck you, man.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Several years later, after a suicide attempt and bouts of alcoholism, and the kid left for college, Marie worked as a barista at Starbucks...

"I know you," he finally had the courage to say to her after seeing her for a while working behind the bar at Starbucks.

"Yeah." Marie just chewed her gum and didn't even look at him.

"I don't know where from but I know I know you," he said to her. Marie showed no emotion as usual. Hmm, she looked at him now. She thought he looked like a younger version of an old cousin of her dad's.

"Ralph Ercolli." He put his hand out over the bar for her to shake. Oh, yeah, she knew him now, he was that cousin's son. Starbucks was playing Frank Sinatra "You make me feel so young," she had just noticed.

"Ralphie," her demeanor changed, and she shook his hand. "Yeah, I don't think we've ever met, you were in the coast guard or something." He was fat and had a big nose. She smiled, "how's your mom and dad?" She knew her mom talked to his mom and dad.

"They're good, thanks. I knew I knew you, you looked like a Monti."

"Guilty," she smiled, her eyes smiling too.

"I would love to have coffee with you sometime," he said to her but she didn't say anything, "just to maybe know you a little."

Ugh, she thought to herself, Christ, men and their dicks.

"Here," he said, "take my card and let's have coffee sometime." And she did take his card but she knew she would not call him, later she threw it in the garbage. She wasn't much for people with cards. Double ugh, now it would be awkward to see him in here. Fuck. Just say you lost it if you ever see him again. He left and she hoped he'd never be back in. But he was.

~~~~

"You never called." But Ralph wasn't mad, he just said it flatly with a smile.

"I've been..." and she didn't have an answer, but finally said "doing stuff."