new beginnings

Finally a fresh start. Moving out of my exes place was tough, but pickle and I are finally starting anew. This crusty white trash of a dog has gotten me through the toughest of times, I swear it. I named him pickle because the day we got her the McDonalds worker forgot the pickle on my burger. I was so mad, but when pickle ran up to me in the parking lot afterwards, it was all worth it again. She yapped at me the whole way home, before settling in nicely. I couldn't find her previous owner, so I knew she was put in my way for a reason. Even now, as she yips and yaps in the car as we speed off towards our new home, I know we're right where we need to be.

As the sun begins to set into the horizon, I can feel the hunger I had been avoiding since I left Cooper. I felt I couldn't eat a thing before I got out of there, though now that I'm gone the hunger feels like it's clawing at my stomach. Luckily, I know just the place to fix this.

"Hey, Siri, directions to Papa's Pizzeria," I say. Pickle's ears perk up. She loves the pepperoni. 

To my surprise, it's only a block away!

"Pickle, this is perfect! We'll eat some great pizza, and then we'll be home before you know it!" I say with a laugh to the yapping dog.

Driving down the barren streets, I see it, in all its glory. The neon Pizzeria sign lights my path to sweet, sweet pizza haven. Finally, I'm so hungry for Papa's pizza. I park the car in the lot, and see other patrons lined up inside the store.

"Okay, Pickle, stay girl! I'll be right back with EXTRA pepperoni, just how you like it!" I say. Pickle tilts her head at me.

I open the door to Papa's, and the sudden rush of pizza-scented air fills my nose. It smells better than I could've hoped, and my stomach growls loudly. A few customers side eye me, but I don't mind. I patiently wait my turn. When I make it to the dingy counter, I just know this will be the greatest pizza of my life - after all, I'm starving! I just can't imagine how Pickle is feeling, all alone in the car. I hope this will be quick.

"Hi! How can I help you?" The guy at the counter says.

"Hi!" I say in return. "Can I get uhhh one large pizza? Oh! With extra pepperoni? Can't forget that haha," I request.

"Coming rrrrrright up! Extra pepperoni? That'll be $12.99," he tells me. I nod.

As I wait for my pizza, I hear an ear piercing car alarm begin to blare. I wish cars would get stolen a little more quietly, I joke in my head. Everyone suddenly gasps and they start jostling each other to get a view of what's happening outside. Oh shit, I think, maybe a car really is being stolen!

I peer out the window best I can. And I see what's happening. It's my car! I let out a slight scream of terror!

"PICKLE!!" I shout, forcing people out of my way to the door.

"Are you nuts?" I hear the guy from the counter shout. I ignore him.

I break out into a full on sprint, and I see two men dressed in all black breaking my car windows as my alarm goes off. Pickle jumps out as the men get into my two front seats. It all happens so fast, and they begin to drive away.

"PICKLE! COME HERE!!" I call out as she runs in the other direction and out of my sight. My heart sinks to my stomach, which was once hungry and now food is the last thing on my mind.

I try running after her, but I lose my breath quickly. Man, I'm out of shape. Tears form on my eyes and I sink to my knees on the ground.

"PICKLE!!!!!" I cry out! I'm sitting in the middle of the parking lot, tears streaming down my face now. I shake violently. I just lost my everything. This must be how Cooper felt when I left him, I think. And now Pickle has left me.