28 | THE WINNERS OF THE BATTLE

THE SOUND OF explosions woke Athena from her rest, for a moment she thought she would see Finnick if she opened her eyes, but the explosions were softer, like they were further away.

"Must be shelling rebels outside the city." Gale spoke.

Cressida shook her head. "That's not outside the city."

Gale left for a few moments to speak to Tigris and see what was happening, he returned not too long after. "The suns coming up. There's some small-Arms fire. Could be Paylor, maybe Lyme. Rebels are close."

"This is it."

The sound of fanfare played and Snow's face appeared on a hologram. "To all Capitol citizens more than a half mile outside the City Circle, I am announcing a mandatory evacuation. Come to the mansion. I am promising you shelter and sanctuary. All refugees, come to my home. There you will be provided with food, medicine, safety for your children, and you will have my solemn oath to protect you until my dying breath."

"Wish he'd hurry up with that last part." Cressida mumbled.

Aeschylus nodded in agreement, although he had insider knowledge that his grandfather wasn't doing too well anyway and hadn't been for the past few years.

"Our enemy is not like us. They do not share our values. They have never known our comfort and our sophistication. And they despise us for it, make no mistake. They are not coming to liberate us, they are coming to destroy our way of life. They are coming to bury us."

The broadcast ended and Athena looked at her feet.

"Is he still in the mansion?" Katniss asked.

Chy nodded. "Yeah. It's about five blocks away from here."

"What about the pods?"

Cressida stepped in. "They'll probably deactivate the pods for the residents safety."

Katniss nodded. "That could work. I could get close enough."

"Every Peacekeeper is gonna be waiting." Gale pointed out.

"Next to our faces on every billboard." Athena mumbled.

"Snow's offering shelter to all refugees."

Chy had asked his aunt if they could borrow some coats to hide their identity, however it had been decided that only Katniss and Gale would be going to the mansion. Chy was worried that his presence would cause more of a ruckus than needed, Athena was still grieving Finnick and the anger she had may put her in harms way. Cressida and Pollux decided to stay too, wanting to make the plan move quicker and more efficiently. Peeta, of course, was still a slight danger to himself and others.

Katniss stood in front of Athena, giving her a hug. It was one of the few times they had shared the affection, neither were used to it. But Katniss knew what she was about to do would help Athena, she had lost so many people to Snow, including the last of her family. Athena wished she was in Katniss' spot, killing the man who had hurt her so much.

While the group waited, worrying if the house would be searched by Peacekeepers, they heard multiple bombs explode. The house shook slightly, they all changed their worry from being caught on being killed. After a while, Tigris had come down to get them, followed by people from District 13. It seemed like they had won the battle and had taken the Capitol for their own.

Athena found out that Katniss' younger sister, Primrose, had been killed in one of the explosions. She knew Katniss would be filled with anger, wanting nothing more than to murder Snow in cold blood.

Most of the group was moved into Snow's mansion. Athena and Chy settled into his old room, nothing had been changed, Snow had left it untouched. The pair also went in search of his younger sister, she was happy to see her older brother but was also frightened of what was to happen to her as a Capitol citizen and granddaughter of Snow. Chy calmed her down, promising to keep her safe and that no one would harm her while he was there. His sister, called Persephone, stayed in her own room beside theirs.

Athena sat on the bed, running her hand through her hair. She had asked for a favour from Aeschylus, she wanted to get pictures of everyone she loved. Her mother, Finnick, Jason, Henry. Chy promised he would, no matter how long it would take. But luckily, it didn't take too long as he returned with the pictures a few days later. Now, Athena was sat on the bed staring at all the pictures, in her head she had a whole world where all of them were alive and living happily.

There was a knock on the door, Bellona stuck her head in. "Coin wants to see us all."

The girl said nothing, she placed the pictures on the bedside table and stood up, following her mentor to the room where Coin was. There were others inside too, Peeta, Enobaria from the Games, Annie, Haymitch, Beetee, Joanna. Then Katniss walked in.

"What's this?" She questioned.

Coin pointed at the seats. "The remaining Victors. Won't you join us?"

Everyone took a seat at the round table, Athena was reminded of ancient stories about Arthur and the knights of the round table. But at this moment, she felt like she was staring into the eyes of the Devil as Coin spoke.

"I have invited you all here for several reasons, but first I have an announcement. I have taken the burden and the honour of declaring myself Interim President of Panem."

Haymitch let out a scoff. "Interim? Exactly how long is that interim?"

"We have no way of knowing for certain. But it's clear the people are far too emotional right now to make a rational decision. We'll plan an election when the time is right. But I have called you here for a far more important vote. A symbolic vote. This afternoon, we will execute Snow. Hundreds of his accomplices also await their deaths. Capitol officials, Peacekeepers, torturers, Gamemakers. But the danger is, once we begin, the rebels will not stop calling for retribution. Thirst for blood is a difficult urge to satisfy. So I offer an alternative plan. Majority of five may approve it, no one may abstain. The proposal is this...in lieu of these barbaric executions, we hold a symbolic Hunger Games."