Prolouge

To San Lannister, Hand of the King Robert Baratheon II, King of the Andals and the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Lord of the Six Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm

My Lord San,

I firstmost need to apologize for this intrusion. I am aware of your time-consuming duties as Lord Hand, but I fear that these times leave me up to no other choice. I hear whispers in the halls of the Citadel, and from what I have heard, they are too urgent to be ignored. I have a feeling that you have felt the same gust of wind.

It seems that an uncertain darkness has spread over Westeros once more. Even though it has been almost a hundred and forty-three years since the end of the War of the Five Kings, the shadows of its hauntings still seem to reign over the lands. It is to no man a secret that the War changed things, some for the better and some for the worse.

The Kingdoms once rejoiced in a feeling of unity, despite the absence of the North, after the War had passed. The horrors and savageries seemed enough for the people to learn and oversee the lands with a much more keen eye. Nobody wanted to see the same events transpire again. And for over a century, we had peace.

It was then that the Princess of Dorne, Myriah Martell, was murdered. There has been no answer to the question of who committed such a crime yet, but the act was enough to awaken the feeling of terror within the people of Westeros. It is thus crucial for the forthcoming assembly between the Martells and the Baratheons to be held as we desperately want to maintain the peace. Maester Travan has already reported to us about the people in Dorne growing restless. Some Dornish merchants have already refused to trade with others in the remaining six kingdoms, leading to a blockade of goods and the anger of citizens. Unfortunately, this seemed only to be the start of the unfortunate events.

What happened after was even worse. I am sure that you have felt it more than anyone and, once again, I pay you my utter respects. The murder of our beloved King, Robert Baratheon II, was a shock to all. He was a symbol of the people and the peace, and as of now, we have lost that flame. The Realm is in shambles, with no one left to rule, and if we do not act on it soon, who knows to what it may escalate.

It is therefore that I write to you, my good Lord. Westeros needs, as I mentioned before, a symbol. Above else, we need a Ruler. In the absence of a clear successor, the Realm plunges into uncertainty. We all know what uncertainty does to the people, and if we were any more wiser, it would be best to make a decision now. The Houses of Westeros have caught onto the desperation and each of them is vying for the Throne. Though I do not doubt their ambition and resilience in wanting to rule, it is ultimately up to the Council to decide who will seat the Throne once more. However, if I may speak of true honesty, I fear that with the growing panic throughout the lands, it leaves everyone eager to claim sovereignty over Westeros, and eagerness paired with a thirst for power rarely goes well together.

On that note, I must set forth a proposition. Though the decision will ultimately be up to the Council, I hope dearly that my voice will not be unheard in this difficult call. The former King has a son, a young man who you have known from a young age as well. You, my Lord, have most certainly seen the potential his son has, not only in leadership but also in the qualities that define a Ruler - wisdom, compassion and strength. Yunho Baratheon, much like his father, would serve the Realm with a strong hand yet a genuine heart.

Thus, I implore you to lend your voice to this decision. His ascension to the Throne may be the shore that this ship will sail to. The people of Westeros need a leader and a symbol they can rally behind. If we fail to choose the right one, especially in times when Kingship is already put in doubt, Westeros could await a fate much worse than the War of the Five Kings. Let us pray that we may leave those dark times behind for once and for all.

I desperately plead with you to consider my thoughts, Lord Hand. We cannot afford to spend any more time dwelling on this cause, for it is dire to bring back the peace that we once held.

May the Gods guide us,

-Maester Harlan