Chapter 4

Emma Smith

I could hear footsteps behind me as I ran away from my mate and everyone else present there. I sniffed the air, and the scent confirmed that Ashton was following me.

That was not what I wanted. I needed to be alone right now, to keep my distance from him. I didn't want him to reject me. I wanted to cherish the fact that I had found my soulmate. I didn't want to be mateless the moment I found him.

Regrettably, my wolf was hindering my speed. She was holding me back, reluctant to leave our mate behind. Her howls echoed in my mind. Additionally, Ashton, being the future alpha, was much swifter than me. He was already closing in on me, ready to catch me in an instant. I needed to push myself harder and move faster.

"Mate. I need my mate," my wolf in my head said tremblingly, the urgency in her voice evident.

"I can't. We can't. We have to leave. He is going to reject us anyway," I tried to persuade my wolf, the fear of rejection weighing heavily on my mind.

But my wolf had other ideas, her determination shining through. "No. He is our mate. He will love us," she reassured me, her faith unwavering.

I heard a howl from behind me, signaling Ashton's approach. Panic set in as I realized we were running out of time.

"Please help me. By the way, what's your name? We didn't even get a chance to introduce ourselves," I pleaded, desperate for a connection in this chaotic moment.

"And who is to blame for that?" my wolf replied, her tone challenging yet playful. "My name is Bella," she introduced herself, a hint of mischief in her voice.

Unfortunately, it's too late to convince my wolf. Ashton zooms past me at high speed, then abruptly stops and turns to face me. In a swift motion, he jumps onto my back, pinning me down beneath him.

However, I refuse to surrender without a fight. I attempt to push him off, knowing it's a futile effort. He holds a significant amount of power, being the soon-to-be alpha from the alpha bloodline. On the other hand, I am no weakling. I am the beta's daughter in our pack. Nevertheless, Ashton clearly outmatches me in strength.

Even though I am putting a lot of pressure on him to get rid of him, what surprises me is that he is not causing any harm to me. He is just trying to avoid my legs, which are trying to kick him. Yes, I am kicking like a horse rather than biting like a wolf, but not even as hard. Even if he wasn't my mate, I don't think I could hurt him because he's first and foremost my best friend.

I don't think I can harm him in any way, and I am sure he won't harm me either. However, when it comes to the mating game, it's a whole different story.

"Mate won't reject us," my wolf, who was watching everything, says abruptly.

"He will do it. You haven't known him your entire life, as I have. I am confident he will," I reply, my heart pounding in my chest.

I tried pushing and kicking him, but he refused to budge. Eventually, I decided to give up. As I looked into his eyes, I could see a mix of confusion, concern, and various other emotions.

I gave him a firm stare and mentally communicated, "Ashton, move," using our pack's unique ability to mind-link. We are all connected in the pack, allowing us to communicate through our minds.

The ability to mind-link is a special trait of being a werewolf, enabling us to stay connected and work together seamlessly.

"Wow, you just called me Ashton. What's with the full name, idiot?" He said in a playful tone, although his eyes showed seriousness. It was clear that he was trying to lighten the mood, but the vulnerability in his expression gave him away.