Chapter One

It was the 22nd of December, the final day of term at Waterloo Road.

Eddie was packing up his desk in the Head Teacher's office. He'd only been the Acting Head Teacher for the last two weeks, but he was really enjoying it. Of course he would give it up straightaway once Rachel was ready to come back.

He smiled as he thought of Rachel, at home with their two week old baby girl, Evelyn. Their daughter was everything Rachel and Eddie had ever wanted and more. He was looking forward to being with them 24/7 for two whole weeks over the Christmas break. And it meant Rachel could have a bit of rest.

Eddie loved Christmas. It was his favourite time of year, if you didn't count all the last minute shopping and gift buying!

But this year was different and he was even more excited. He had Rachel and a daughter to spoil and spend time with. It was Eddie and Rachel's second Christmas together, and their first Christmas as a family of three. And he was going to make it special.

From the beginning of their relationship, Eddie knew he wanted to spend the rest of his life with Rachel. He'd never loved anyone like he loved her. She was his everything. She was beautiful, inside and out. And he was head over heels in love with her. There was just something about her that made his heart sing. Maybe it was her smile, or gentle, loving, (and slightly stubborn) nature. Maybe it was the fierce love she had for her job, the passion she had to better the lives of the students in her care. He didn't know what it was, but it was something. He'd never met anyone like her, and he never would again. She was one of a kind.

It was only in the last few weeks that he'd decided that he wanted to do something about how he felt about Rachel. He wanted her to know he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her. He wanted her to know just how much he loved her. He had a plan. And Christmas seemed to be the best time to execute it.

So, he got into his car and headed home. "Driving Home for Christmas" was playing on the radio. He smiled. It was his favourite Christmas song.

When he arrived at the house and went inside, it was quiet. Eddie put his bag down carefully and slipped off his shoes.

He tiptoed along the hallway, standing in the doorway of the living room. The scene before him made his heart melt.

Rachel was lying on the sofa, fast asleep. Baby Evelyn was resting contentedly on her chest, wrapped securely in her Mother's arms. The fire was crackling away and the TV was playing quietly in the background. He smiled. He loved them both so much.

Quietly, he walked over to Rachel, kissing her forehead softly. Her eyes fluttered open slowly as she yawned. She looked at him for a moment. Her face lit up with a smile.

"You're home" she whispered, her voice croaky from sleep

"I am. You're stuck with me for the next two weeks now!" He chuckled

Rachel smiled. She was looking forward to that.

"How are my girls?" Eddie asked, kissing the back of Evelyn's head gently

"We're fine, even better now you're home" she nodded, staring lovingly at Evelyn

Evelyn stirred, stretching out on Rachel's chest. She let out a small whimper. Rachel rubbed her back soothingly.

"Look darling, Daddy's home" she whispered to her

Evelyn stretched out her arm, letting out the tiniest, most adorable yawn. She wrapped her hand tightly around Eddie's finger.

"I think she missed you" Rachel giggled

Eddie chuckled

Rachel passed Evelyn to him gently, watching as he rocked her in his arms. She smiled, her heart fluttering lightly in her chest. She could watch the two of them forever.

Eddie watched as Evelyn stared up at him with her big, brown eyes. She was just perfect. Every time he looked at her, he fell in love with her just that bit more. She'd well and truly stolen his heart.

Rachel stood up, wrapping an arm around Eddie's waist, gazing at Evelyn. Eddie smiled, draping an arm round her shoulder. She hummed contentedly.

"I was going to put the tree up today, but our little one had other ideas. So we fell asleep on the sofa" Rachel giggled

"You're not supposed to be doing anything too strenuous anyway" Eddie pointed out

"I wouldn't call putting up the Christmas tree strenuous, Eddie!" She chuckled

"I would!" Eddie laughed

"You think me making myself a cup of tea is too strenuous!" She teased

Eddie smirked. It was true, he wanted to wait on her hand and foot. After the birth of Evelyn, Rachel was exhausted and was up all hours of the night, feeding Evelyn, cuddling her, making sure she had everything she needed. The least he could do was make sure she was resting as much as possible.

"I'll help you put the tree up tomorrow, ok?" He offered

"Ok" she smiled, kissing his lips gently

Evelyn suddenly started to wail. Eddie rocked her gently, smiling at her.

"Don't worry, you can help too" he chuckled, stroking her cheek softly

Evelyn continued to wail loudly, smacking her lips.

"I don't think she's bothered about the Christmas tree. I think she's hungry" Rachel giggled

Eddie passed her to Rachel carefully before heading toward the kitchen.

"There's a bottle in the fridge ready, it just needs heating up" Rachel informed him, shushing Evelyn gently

Eddie nodded, heading into the kitchen.

As Evelyn's bottle was cooling down, Eddie grabbed the mistletoe he'd bought yesterday from where he'd hidden it in the cupboard. He'd wanted to surprise Rachel with it.

He grabbed Evelyn's bottle, hiding the mistletoe behind his back as he walked back into the living room.

"One baby bottle" he smiled, handing it to Rachel, who was now sat on the sofa with a fussy Evelyn in her arms

"Thank you" she smiled back, taking it from him gently

She placed the bottle in Evelyn's mouth, her wails turning into gentle whimpers as she sucked contentedly on the bottle.

"What are you holding behind your back?" Rachel asked, eyeing Eddie suspiciously

"Nothing, just a little present" he smirked, grinning cheekily

Rachel raised an eyebrow at him

He pulled the mistletoe out from behind his back, showing it to her.

"Mistletoe? Really?" She giggled, raising an eyebrow

"It is Christmas" he shrugged

"Come here then" she huffed, pulling him towards her

Eddie chuckled, holding the mistletoe above them as they shared a passionate kiss. Rachel delighted in the way her heart skipped a beat. She'd never get tired of that feeling she got when she kissed him.

They pulled apart, smiling at each other.

"I love you" she whispered, blushing furiously

Eddie grinned

"I love you too" he replied

He kissed Evelyn's forehead gently

"Both of you" he added