CHAPTER 1

And this is when the moments turn to memories

And this is when the future gets so clear to see.

Stretching my leg across the bed, I hum along to the music. Today feels great even though it is quite exhausting.

I am relieved and liberated, having turned my dreams into reality through the creation of my own brand 'Kays'. This accomplishment did not come easily; reflecting on my university days, I chuckle at the struggles and sacrifices. I vividly recall forgoing social outings with friends to focus on recording aesthetic videos and high-quality content about skincare for my TikTok account, where I have established my own affiliate presence. This endeavour brings me joy because of my passion for skincare and my desire to share the knowledge I have amassed since high school.

It took me a year and a half to successfully gather the funds for establishing my own brand, primarily through my affiliate journey. I distinctly recall considering borrowing money from my grandmother, but my mother adamantly refused. She emphasised the importance of not taking a substantial amount of money even from family members. Disappointed, I resolved to find my own resources. Thankfully, Allah granted me exposure through TikTok's affiliate program, focusing on skincare and cosmetics—areas I have been passionate about since high school.

When I shared my brand plans with my mom, she suggested focusing on TikTok affiliates, given the challenges of managing parcels while being a university student living away from home. It dawned on me that her idea was actually considerable. Indeed, I could accumulate funds through affiliate marketing and embark on establishing my own brand after graduating. Mom's suggestion turned out to be quite sensible.

To be honest, the journey was incredibly lengthy, reaching a point where I contemplated giving up. However, my family served as a constant source of inspiration, keeping me alert and determined. The wishlist I compiled played a significant role in shaping my identity, and the vision board I crafted had a lasting impact on who I have become. Overcoming depression, anxiety, and the overwhelming emotions became possible as I faced various challenges, and I ultimately surrendered them to Allah. In the spirit of faith, I uttered, "Bismillahi Tawakkaltu Alallah."

Kring Kring Kring!

Startled by the loud ringing of my phone, I sighed, realising once again that I had forgotten to silence it.

"Hannah, you always forget to silence it! The sound was so loud,"

"Girl, it was like a fire department alarm,"

I smiled, recalling the usual comments from my siblings upon hearing my phone's ringtone. Glancing at the caller ID, I saw it was Umi <3.

"Umi! How are you?"

"Alhamdulillah, Hannah. How are you doing there?"

I had come to Korea for a collaboration with the brand Amomento. The first time I received the call, I was both surprised and somewhat expecting it, given the brand's models and managers had been engaging with my fashion Instagram, Kays'. It was morning, and I had just finished unpacking in the 5-star hotel; Neol Nae. With some free time before my commitments, I decided to explore inside the hotel. Still adjusting to the time travelling duration of 6 hours and 15 minutes, I strolled around the hotel's surroundings and finally took a brief rest in the room.

"Yes, I'm good. Just trying to get used to the surroundings and the temperature. It's so cold."

The conversation continued with mom offering advice, laughing and ended with mom recommending souvenirs.