37

37 - Trigger Warning

HADEN

The atmosphere was charged with tension as we gathered in my office, purposely ignoring Zara's gaze as I took my place in my chair.

"Why don't you see that it makes sense," Zara argued, her voice unwavering. "They need a leader, and Luca's got the experience."

"He's got experience being a rogue, Zara," I countered, matching her tone. "They've all been on the run, branded rogues for life and if they all decided to follow Luca then kudos to them but being an alpha is a huge responsibility. You can't just pick up on a whim."

The room buzzed with the weight of our conflicting perspectives and I could feel another argument coming. I would never understand why wolves would choose the life of a rogue when pack life was so rewarding.

"Well he isn't just picking it up on a whim, he's an Alpha by blood," she argued.

"Having parents who were Alphas isn't all there is to it," I deadpanned at her.

Zara, quick to object, had her hands on her hips as she glared at me. "My parents were both Alphas, so it makes him more than capable."

I sighed, resisting the urge to roll my eyes given the sensitive topic of her parents. "Your capabilities are impressive, princess, and that's no doubt to your parents. It's not every day you find someone with the blood of two Alphas running through their veins. Still, there's more to this job than simply just having blood in your body."

"Don't be a douche about it, Haden," she replied, a hint of irritation in her tone.

"I'm just stating the truth," I said defensively, leaning back in my chair to look at her.

Zara rolled her eyes.

"You want to know what's the truth? Luca has been through hell and back, just like me. We've clawed our way through the depths and made the most of a tragic situation. That on its own builds character. Our survival instincts are top notch and because of that, we make excellent leaders. People banded to him naturally because that's just who he is – he's a natural-born leader. He's strong and I can bet anything that he would fight for the people he loves. That's what an Alpha's supposed to do, right? Or are you Alphas all a bunch of narcissistic assholes?" she rushed out, her breathing uneasy as she glared at me.

The room fell into a smooth silence as I stared at her, listening to her every word and seeing the conviction in her words. I realized all she was saying about her brother was true for herself too. I could see her being the Luna of this pack with ease, leading with me and protecting this pack at all costs.

"It's funny how much of a perfect Luna you would be," I whispered, smirking at her.

Her eyes narrowed. "That isn't what we're talking about, Haden."

"I mean it," I insisted. "You have the strength and the compassion. You'd be a great Luna."

Her response was swift. "You're only saying that now because you know about my lineage. I don't need pity, Haden."

"Pity!" I shouted as I sprung from my chair. "I've always thought that you would make an amazing Luna, your parents have nothing to do with it. Does it help to know that you have the blood of two Alphas running through you? Of course, it adds to the... appeal, but it's not the deciding factor."

"Oh yeah? Where was all that energy before you found this out? Why didn't you ask me before?" she snapped.

"Being the mate of an Alpha, it's implied that you're the Luna Zara. I'm not sure how much you would know, with you being a rogue before and all, but that's pretty much common knowledge."