Chapter 1: Forest Visit

Note: In this chapter, Solstice is still a Sneasel.

I wrapped my claws around the doorknob of my mother's bedroom and twisted it as slowly and silently that I could as to not make any noise. I peered past the door and inside the room, and could faintly make out a motionless, tall figure which was covered by a sheet of fabric laying in bed.

It didn't take much thought to know that the "figure" was my sleeping mother. I softly pressed the door back against its frame, and made my way to the entrance of our house.

I slipped around the front door into the vast, outside world, took a greedy gulp of the chilly morning air, then started following the road to the edge of town.

Since my town is mostly comprised of dark-types, everyone typically sleeps nocturnally, since the night is more comfortable for them, and the day is too bright.

As I was going through our town, I couldn't help but notice how different the environment felt during this time. Everything was quiet, and the whole place almost felt deserted. And yet, you could still see bird Pokémon distantly flying above. It was as if our little town was frozen in time, but the whole wide world was still buzzing with life.

I expected it to be like this for the entire route, until all of a sudden, I noticed a Mightyena walking out of a bar in front of me.

In fear that the Pokémon would notice me and that I would possibly arouse suspicion, I swiftly hid behind a nearby tree, making sure to tuck my ear and tail feathers, so they wouldn't poke out.

Eventually, the Pokémon went the other way, and I resumed my journey.

I started wondering why that local was even out during the day, but I quickly brushed off those thoughts, knowing that it would've been reasonable to say the same for myself.

...

After around a half-hour of walking, I finally reached the end of the town. I examined the stone wall that blocked off the outer wilderness, looking for a specific, small pit. After a moment, I finally found it between a small ditch and a fragmented piece of the wall.

I laid down onto the soil and began carefully crawling through the tunnel, staying as flat as I could in order to avoid getting stuck.

Now, if you're wondering why I wouldn't just "use the entrance gate of our town", it's because of the fact that I am not even allowed to be out at this time, and especially not past those gates. A guard or patrol would likely catch me attempting to escape, send me back home, and then I wouldn't be allowed out of the house for an abundant amount of time.

After a few moments of crawling, I finally lifted my body, and exited the passage. The tunnel was, without doubt, very dirty. It evidently showed on my fur, which was very ragged from being rubbed all over the earth.

I apathetically brushed my fur down with my hands, then continued on my way to the woods.

...

Rustling leaves, breezing wind, beautiful trees, all the perfect factors of a forest visit. The bright, blue sky juxtaposed with the yellow tinted clouds, along with being barely blocked off by the woody plants showed off a beauty rarely seen by dark-types.

I wish that all my friends could also witness this sight. Unfortunately, no one at my town would even dare step foot outside the village during the day. Which, if I'm being honest, is something I've never understood. They often warn me about Pokémon who "attack wild dark-types" and "see us as threats."

I'd personally say those things are just rumours or even misunderstandings, at best. I doubt anyone would be stupid or scared enough to attack an innocent wandering Pokémon, right?

I stood up from the grass clearing, and decided to explore a bit more of the forest before going home. Before proceeding I took a mental note of the landmarks of where I've already been, and then went onto the little adventure.

...

While walking through a part of the forest that I haven't been to yet, I found a little creek. But before I was able to check it out, a sudden loud sound crashed into my eardrums.

"SOMEONE, HELP ME!! PLEASE!"

The voice seemed to come from across the stream. I quickly dashed across the water (unfortunately soaking my feet in the process, why didn't I just freeze it?) and followed the location of the sound.

As I got closer, a small brown Pokémon eventually came into my view. Which I identified as an Eevee.

I tried approaching him, but he seemed to flinch, his distress growing stronger. It was surely scared of me, but why?

"Hey! You there!"

I looked over to my side. There stood a familiar black and grey canine. The realization came to me like a truck. That Pokémon was a Mightyena, specifically, the one from the bar.

"Don't know who you are or what you're doing up so late, kid. But, it's a good thing you're here. I'm having a bit of trouble catching this little... *ahem* rascal. Here, I'll come from the left, and you-"

"Huh?"

We both awkwardly stared at each other after my interruption, even the Eevee looked slightly confused. I said something to break the silence.

"Why are you attacking him!?"

After that question, his expression towards me shifted, changing from relief to absolute firmness.

"Listen here, I still don't know who you are. But, if you don't want to help me, then leave. And if you are standing against me, I'll kill you as well."

At first, I heavily contemplated running away from the scene, however, that would also mean that I would abandon the small Eevee. He was staring at me as if I were his savior, but besides, even without the glares, I didn't come here for no reason.

I stood my ground.

"Oh! Trying to play the heroine, I see? I guess those feathers of yours would make a nice little keepsake..."

He started to flatten his body, showing obvious signs of aggression. Something deep in me started regretting going through with this. To make things worse, I've never actually fought anyone. I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

The Mightyena let out waves of deep growls, each one significantly increasing the tension in the air. Every single fiber of my body screamed at me to escape, however, I persisted.

He realized that I wouldn't be able to attack in my panicked state, so he decided to make the first move.

The Mightyena started charging at me.

A/N:

So, did you enjoy this chapter? Please do remember that this is the first ever fan-fiction I've ever created, and also the first novel I've ever published. If you have critique to give, please write it as a suggestion or advice, rather than a hate comment.

Also, I'm not sure about the name of the book yet, currently the main character (whose name is Solstice, and is the POV of the book) is a Sneasel, but since the book is written in past tense, if she evolves, it wouldn't make sense for it to be a "Sneasel's Story" anymore.

Last thing: In future chapters, I might (emphasis on might, I still don't know) change this book from 1st person to 3rd person, because I think I'm using too much of the word "I" and I don't know how to write monologues without them sounding out of place.

What do you guys think?

Word count: 1084

Chapter started: 26/12/2023 4:51pm

Chapter finished: 31/12/2023 8:09pm

Edit 28/04/2024 1:51am: Slight edit.