Chapter Three: Science Class

Victor didn't know Elsa needed his help. He just knew he needed to get to class on time.

Every day he took the same route to school. He rode his bike by Pine Street and Willow. Then he passed by old Mrs. Reinhardt's creepy house, followed by a dozen picture perfect houses - each with big picture windows and two car garages.

Sometimes Sparky, when he was a normal Terrier, would sneak out of the house and follow until Victor would make him turn around. He always hated sending Sparky home. He wished he could take his dog with him to school. It would be so much nicer to have his best friend by his side.

But he had tried that once. The principal had not been happy when he found Sparky inside Victor's locker.

When he finally got to school, Victor kneeled down and locked his bike to a long rack in front of the doors to the building. Sidestepping the rack, he headed into the school, towards his favourite class - science.

Victor entered the classroom and saw Mr. Clive, their current science teacher, sketching two diagrams onto the chalkboard as the students filed into the class and took their seats.

"Good morning children." Mr. Clive said, adjusting his collar. The science teacher had greasy black hair and a plain, simple suit. He had been hired the previous winter, mainly due to the fact that Coach Barnes, the gym teacher, clearly was not skilled enough to take over science class full-time. That, and the fact that she had taken a short leave of absence to recover from her then recently developed phobia of rats (no thanks to a certain hunchback).

Victor thought well of Mr. Clive. He was clearly well educated in science, but he was no Mr. Rzykruski. The foreign educator was hired the same fall as the Dutch Day incident, but was unfairly let go. He held a special place in Victor's heart; he had been a great source of inspiration to the boy, and he had taught him a few valuable lessons.

"Now," Mr. Clive began, stepping away from the chalkboard to reveal two diagrams of slightly different looking brains. "Who can tell me the difference between a normal brain and an abnormal brain?"

Toshiaki's hand was the first to go up. "The abnormal brain has a scarcity of convolutions on the frontal lobe as compared to that of the normal brain."

"You also have the distinct degeneration of the middle frontal lobe." Nassor's ominous, gloomy voice rang out.

"Mr. Grosvenor, please raise your hand next time. But, you and Mr. Saito are both correct." Mr. Clive commended as he gestured to the chalk board. "These are all the distinct characteristics of-"

The science teacher was cut short as the door to the class opened, and in walked the Principal, Mr. Griffin. He wore a brown suit with thick black glasses below his scruffy brown hair.

This wasn't the first time the Principal entered their classroom. What captured the class's attention, however, was the boy none of them had never seen before accompanying him.

"Ah, is this who I think it is?" Mr. Clive asked.

"Yes, Mr. Clive, it is." The Principal confirmed, as he turned to the class and put his hand on the boy's shoulder. "Class, this is your new student; Lawrence Talbot."

The class had a good look at him. He had smooth brown hair that was brushed to the side. His attire consisted of a black jumper with a white shirt underneath, black trousers, and black shoes.

"Welcome, Lawrence. I am Mr. Clive, your science teacher." He introduced. "Please, have a seat."

"Um, where do I sit?" The new student asked. He had a quiet, timid voice, quite calming to hear, in fact.

Mr. Clive showed him an empty seat near Victor, which the boy willingly sat down in. He took his bag off and got his school supplies out. Mr. Griffin, seeing that Lawrence had settled in, then left the classroom, closing the door behind him.

"Now then," Mr. Clive continued. "Where were we?"