ONE

Lucca Guerra was my sweet and lovely handsome boyfriend. He had beautiful emerald eyes and black curls that made my hands itch to tug on them. He was tall and lean, and the captain of the basketball team. I am not your typical beauty, just a girl with a head full of brown wavy hair that can't seem to stay in one place and big brown eyes. Let's just say that I had never believed that he would fall in love with me, but that had to end.

My father, Danny Becker, decided to announce that we will be moving to Florida, and that was the end of Lucca and Taylor's love story. We sat on the roof of his house, staring at the moon and stars while I placed my head on his shoulder. All I wanted was to feel close to him at least one more time before I left.

"Taylor," he whispered and lifted my head to look up at him.

He had this shy look that made me confused. He scratched the back of his head, something that he used to do whenever he was nervous. Lucca reached into his jacket and pulled out a small plastic ring. I sat up straight and stared at him.

He cleared his throat, his beautiful eyes locked with mine.

"Taylor Becker, I love you so much and..." he sighed, "I wanted to give you this ring as a promise of my love to you, and when we finish high school, I want to marry you."

I blinked away the tears that had clouded my vision. How was I going to break the news of me leaving? My heart was aching deep in my chest. "I can't," was the only thing I whispered, tears rolling down my face. I rushed to his window and jumped inside his room.

And let's say that's the last time I saw him. I failed to explain.

I stood at the station waiting for the next train, the big screen above playing different adverts. I pulled on my jacket to shield my body from the coldness of winter. An advert for the next basketball match that would take place on Sunday started playing, and my eyes snapped up. There was no volume, and I didn't care about that as my eyes glued to the tall and lanky figure, throwing the ball into the net and scoring. His familiar smile followed as his teammates rushed towards him, and then they displayed the venue and time for the match.

The train arrived, but I couldn't move. I stood rooted in the corner where I was standing. Six years, it's been six years. The last announcement snapped me out of my trance, and I rushed onto the train just as the doors closed. I stared at the screen until it disappeared. There was an empty hole in my heart, as if a piece of it was left behind.

By the time I arrived home, I couldn't get him off my mind. I stood on the front porch of my sister's house, trying to calm my nerves. I was not willing to show anyone that I was still not over Lucca, no matter how many days had passed.

The door opened, followed by a "Mommy," as my little girl galloped into my arms.

I picked her up with a smile. She is growing every single day. Six-year-old Elena Becker is my everything and my sanctuary. When we had just arrived in Florida, I realized that I was pregnant. A week before Lucca and I ended, we had attended a party, and in a drunken state, I lost my virginity to him. When I found out I was pregnant, I was confused about what to do. My father was so angry, even to this day, but I never told Lucca.

"How is my little bubble?" I asked, placing a kiss on her forehead as we walked into the house.

"I'm fine, Mommy. Today, my teacher made us draw a hippotanus," she murmured excitedly, her hands moving in different places. Elena Becker is a photocopy of her father, with her emerald eyes and black curls, she reminds me of him every second of the day.

"It's called a hippopotamus, honey," I replied, setting her down. My sister rushed downstairs. She was wearing a red dress that hugged her curves nicely, her chestnut hair curled. She had on some mascara and red lipstick. Tracy was so beautiful that she made me feel like my daughter's drawing of a hippopotamus, which I'm sure was crooked.

"Another date?" I asked, flopping on the couch.

"Yes, I hope this one goes well. How do I look?" she replied.

"You can murder anyone with the way you're looking. Another Tinder date?" I inquired.

"No. It's one of the teachers at Elena's school," we heard a car engine outside and a smile plastered on her face. It was obvious that she was interested in whoever this man is. "That must be him. I will see you later, sis."

I blinked as the door was shut close, my lips parted and then closed. I had wanted to remind her that she didn't give me the guy's details, something we did for security purposes. Well, it's something she did since I never go out. I was not ready to fall in love again or bring another man into my daughter's life.

Especially now that she's so curious about who her father is. Though I told her everything and never hid anything about Lucca, she was still curious, and stories about him became her bedtime stories.

"Mommy," I snapped my head up.

"Yes, sweetie, do you need anything?"

"You promised to make me a sandwich," Elena replied sweetly.

"Okay, give me a minute, and we will have that belly full." I rubbed her tummy, and she giggled. I got off the couch and walked into the kitchen as Elena brought her painting books and sat on the kitchen counter.

"Will you drive me to our gymnastics competition on Saturday? Our teacher said it is in the next city," Elena spoke up.

"Gymnastics! You didn't tell me you love gymnastics," I replied. I had never thought she would be interested in anything like that.

"Mommy, I love it," she pouted, but still, I didn't agree.

"Elena, I think it's too risky. I will talk to your teacher." I feel she's too young, and if something happens, I would blame myself.

"But I can't stop it, I love it, mommy."

"I will talk to your teacher first," I replied firmly. Elena didn't say anything or throw a tantrum. My baby had this mature, calm nature that I believe she got from me. Lucca flashed through my mind, that beautiful smile that I loved so much. He has really changed and grown into a really handsome man.

I finished our sandwiches and sat opposite her, she started eating quietly and I knew that she was angry but trying not to cry. I wanted to promise her but I didn't want to lie to her, and then change my words since I am still teaching her about honesty.

When she finished she bid me goodnight and rushed to the bedroom that I shared with her. I knew she was avoiding me but it wasn't going to work. I have to tell her stories about her dad after all.