001.

Last week, a group I was travelling with fell apart when an idiot failed to inform anyone he got bit on a run. Grappling with the haunted memory of the chaos and the unanswered question of why I was spared and not with my family. Despite the relief of not having to suffer through the physical pain of the bite I'm still left unsettled.

     Unlike most, I've avoided killing for as long as I have by opting to run and hide until it's safe. Now with winter coming, everything feels a ton scarier. The leaves are falling so I can't hide behind them, cold and dark approaches quicker. Christmas is what I'm still waiting for, Santa to come down on his sleigh and take me to the North Pole. Being an elf doesn't sound all that bad when you're out here.

     I fumbled my way out the desolate forest and onto a highway. I haven't slept in days nor have I ate, running is what lingers on my mind. A car stands out with the white painted message on the  windscreen to a girl named Sophia. Someone promising daily visits, leaving supplies such as canned foods and bottled drinks huddled together on the hood. I blinked a few dozen times praying it's not a cruel hallucination. It seemed like a chance to have people around again, so I wanted to wait, I had no plans to attend to or anything.

     I'm not a people person by any means but in this situation I'll take them, I can't protect myself and I'm super paranoid by the sound of my own footsteps. I twisted open a water bottle after no one showed up in the time span I expected, now quite bored. Who knows if any people even exist anymore, y'know, maybe I'm it. Earth chose me to look after it, that's nice. I feel like I could get behind that idea.

     The urge to climb a tree for safety took over eight-six percent of my mind so I did. A tall sturdy tree with branches sticking out from everywhere, placed perfectly, mother nature is very pretty. Mummy talked that mother nature was naturally beautiful and irreplaceable yet very underrated by people.
She sounded much like her.

     The sudden roar of a speeding motorbike came down the road, my eyes ring from it disrupting the comfort of silence I've created around myself. Laid down on my stomach, peeking out through the few leaves. Fairly young man with thin brown hair and crossbow slung over his shoulder. The bike was loud, louder than a car and it scares me that it had the potential to attract the dead. It doesn't look like the thought crossed the guys mind.

     "Sophia!" He shouted out into the distance, looking for a reply. From my despise of loud noises, it sent a really irritating feeling through me just wanting to shout at him to shut up when there again,
"Sophia!" It feels like he's getting louder, he's definitely getting louder. He kicks a random car with a frustrated grunt, putting his hands on his knees.

     I pushed my body up with my hands, attempting to get a better look at him. I always try to know the person, through appearance and voice, before introducing myself. I've never known if my assumptions are true of not. Sometimes it's only for my pure entertainment, it's not judging but estimating, guessing. That's how I've created many of the characters in my head.

     In the moment of distraction, half the branch snapped beneath I flipped over. Did you know koala's hang upside by choice? I gripped onto the sturdy branch tightly, terrified to look down. With the stranger creeping up in my direction I had to move swiftly, with my deflated strength, to pull me back upright. The guy stood below up, scanning the trees with his crossbow, he thinks I'm either a squirrel or a dead person. Either way he wants to kill me and neither sounds exciting.

     I let out a huff, banged my head on the bark and shut my eyes, this is what clumsiness gets me. I don't think it's gotten me near death experiences before though,
"Hey," he said, my eyes flashed open, his crossbow pointed to the ground and his head was tilted to the side a bit as he looked at me.
"I ain't gonna hurt ya," he took a step back. I remained wary, past traumas of trust and betrayals kept me from moving.