002.

Due to their late arrival, people were getting ready for bed yet they watched us closely, perhaps expecting the two to be alone. I wondered if the man had informed everyone about me. I assume introductions wasn't really happening right now, which is fine, I don't wanna be introduced to all these new faces I won't remember by tomorrow.

     Driving through the farm, I noticed an RV with an older man on the roof, using binoculars—night vision, I guess? Inside, a blonde woman focused on something at a dimly lit table. Nearby, people laughing and talking around a small campfire.
Noticing a boy with his head resting on what seemed to be his mother's shoulder,
     "Are there kids?" I asked quickly, I haven't been around anyone my age since the day of the outbreak.

     She turned in her seat,
"three kids at camp," she smiled I started clapping. It's refreshing to know and see people around my age, I don't particularly like being surrounded by adults.
"Sophia?" I let my curious mind take over which took the woman by surprise as well as I haven't talked the whole trip,
"Sophia... is Carol's little girl, she's been missing a few weeks now,"
I look down at my lap, some of my excitement subsided. I wasn't who they wanted, I know that.

     Exiting the car, I observed the new surroundings while also sensing the tension among this group. It wasn't awful but still uncomfortable, especially for me right now.
My duck went back into my backpack before I struggled to close the door properly. I did it to softly because I didn't wanna bring attention to myself, obviously too late, but still, I tried. The baseball hat man did it for me making me frown, I know he was tryna be nice but I can do it myself.

     Out of all the eyes on me I singled out the man that found me, I pointed,
"Daryl?" The woman answers, "Daryl the one that found you?" She put an arm around my shoulder when I nod.
He walked up last, sucked his fingers clean getting the taste off them from whatever he'd just ate.
"Found 'er," he looked at the Asian guy then at me,
"Yep," the guy then also glances at me so my eyes stare down at the ground to avoid any eye contact I might make.

    I furrow my brows when the woman took me inside because they started talking about something I wasn't allowed to hear, it was probably about me, very most likely. She put a hand on my back to lead me inside to the warm, cozy home. Central heating as something they definitely got in there,
"What's your name? I'm Maggie and that was Glenn," she pointed outside to where the group that was by the car had now spread out again. She smiled and rubbed her hand on my arm to warm up my freezing skin.

     My mouth opened to say my name but she brought me into the kitchen with three new faces in and I inhaled sharply. Two blonde girls doing the dishing and an older man sitting at the dining table reading a newspaper. She offered me bed on the couch for the night which I grateful accepted, her kindness brought a rare smile to my face.
She arranged the cushions and blankets comfortably which felt like a five star hotel compared to my previous sleeping arrangements.

     The new smell caught my attention quite quickly, not bad but different. Every home has a smell, smells like them. I don't know if it's got a name just I was trying not to inhale through my nose.

     I curled up on the sofa a good few minutes, it felt this was all a dream so I guess if it is I should make the most of it.
"Here ya go, it's not much but I warmed it up and added some biscuits on the side," said the man that was reading the newspaper previously, placing the plate on the coffee table in front of me. I stared, four rectangular biscuits next to some peas, corn and carrots that my mum used to make me a lot. Some kinda meat coated in steaming gravy, it's just a typical meal but it's making me sad.

     The man stared at it with me,
"You don't have to eat it, I can find—"
"no," I cut him off, because I had zero expression he assumed I didn't like it when it's actually the very opposite, I've never wanted anything more, I'm starving. I looked at him, his eyebrows raised,
"sorry," I realised that was rude, he was being polite.
I finished the plate quick, trying to savour it but couldn't. Exhausted, I fell asleep full for the first time in a very long time.