Chapter 1: Encounter at The Lighthouse

A/N: This fanfiction was originally posted on Archive of Our Own and Fanfiction.net (Links to my accounts there can be found on my profile). Now for the first time - it is now on Wattpad! Chapters will be posted each week to be up to date.

This fanfiction is based on the HeartGold/SoulSilver games, with canon divergence. A couple of nods to the Pokémon anime here and there.

The main inspiration for this was the trade with Jasmine for her steelix in HGSS. I traded a dratini in my playthrough. I thought it would be fun to write about what happened next. Next, Lance is one of my favorite characters in the series. I felt this story would be a good setting for him to shine. That, and well... I want to tackle a rare pairing I see potential in. I want to give these two the love and attention they deserve.

This story will feature other major characters of Johto. It will also explore the culture, history, and politics behind the region. As well as Kanto.

Pokémon © GameFreak and Nintendo.

Olivine City was a simple gateway from Johto to Kanto. Lance would pass through on occasion, boarding the S.S. Aqua to reach Vermilion City. The other occasion would be the Battle Frontier. Even as Indigo League Champion, Lance liked to indulge in other challenges. The latest was against Dahlia, the Arcade Star. The battle was turbulent but entertaining, each focused on strategies to win. Eventually, the arduous match ended in Lance being victorious. He had proven his status as one of the world's strongest trainers.

Dahlia was pleased with the result. Not only at her pokémon for the performance but of the Dragon Master. She beamed a hearty smile over the finale, returning her medicham into the capsule.

She shook his hand. "You are truly worthy of your title! Fabulous! Your abilities are unmatched, Champion! I'm grateful for such an opportunity to battle you! It's no wonder you specialize in something as strong as the dragon type. Dragon pokémon are full of endless potential that only a master such as you can achieve!"

Lance chuckled, releasing his hand. "You're no pushover yourself, Arcade Star Dahlia."

"Spare me the flattery! Your reputation precedes you, Champion. You inspire me, Dahlia, to train better!"

"I'm happy to hear that. You have the potential to achieve above and beyond. Just continue to hold a belief in your pokémon."

"Thank you. Now, what will you do next? Return to the Indigo Plateau? Or continue more challenges?"

"I'll probably fly back to Kanto. I would like to visit Celadon City to eat and stop by its department store. I need to take care of a few errands."

Dahlia was surprised by the long trip on his mind. "Oh, but that's far! Why not eat here at least? We have a Food Court, or... you can take a trip to the Olivine Café!"

There was a brief pause. Lance replied, "I don't think I've been there before."

"What?!" Dahlia cried, hand over her mouth. "It's a wonderful café! Have you not been to Olivine City?"

"I have, just not to visit. I mostly head for the port or the Battle Frontier."

"You're missing out! Tell you what, why not head over there? If you're a fan of seafood, you're in for great dishes!"

"Is that so?"

"Positive. It doesn't hurt to try! Olivine is a quiet city. I'm sure you won't be chased by paparazzi as you would be in Celadon."

Lance let out a snort, aware of his status... but Dahlia had a point. This was a chance for some peace. "All right, you win. I'll check it out."

"Fantastic! Let me know what you think. Say hello to the café owner for me, will you?"