Prologue

Authors Note (A/N):

(THIS BOOK IS UNDER EDITING.)

Feel free to point out any grammar mistakes so I can correct them! Your opinion is highly valuable.

---------------------------------------------------

Stuck in the middle of my own party, I desperately scanned the room, trying to figure out how to escape the suffocating throng of sequined dresses and blaring pop music. See, this wasn't my scene. As the daughter of Victor Reyes, CEO of Reyes Enterprises, my life was a carefully orchestrated performance - perfect grades, impeccable manners, and a social calendar filled with charity galas and debutante balls. Tonight, however, was the pinnacle: my Sweet Sixteen extravaganza, a gaudy display of wealth that felt more like a corporate takeover than a birthday celebration.

My parents, bless their status-obsessed hearts, had spared no expense. The mansion was overflowing with guests - CEOs, socialites, and the children of both, all vying for a piece of the Reyes fortune, or maybe just a picture with the birthday girl. Me. Amber Reyes, trapped in a sequined cage of her own making.

I spotted a chance. A group of girls, their faces plastered with enough makeup to rival a kabuki mask, were congregating around the oversized punch bowl, their voices shrieking over the latest pop anthem blaring from strategically placed speakers. I took a deep breath, pasted on my brightest smile, and excused myself, weaving my way through the crowd.

My mother, a statuesque beauty with a glacier for a heart, caught my eye from across the room. Her perfectly arched eyebrow rose a fraction, a silent question hanging in the air. I ignored it. It was my party, my life, and for one night at least, I was going to call the shots.

Slinking away, I escaped to the relative quiet of the grand staircase. Reaching the top floor, I made my way to my room, the echo of my footsteps a hollow counterpoint to the distant music. My haven, a sanctuary of bookshelves overflowing with well-worn paperbacks and a plush armchair in the corner, awaited.

Tonight, though, comfort wasn't enough. I needed escape, the kind only a good story could provide. Slipping out of the shimmering monstrosity my mother insisted was a "birthday dress," I opted for my favorite pair of jeans and a worn hoodie that bore the faded logo of a long-forgotten sci-fi convention. Grabbing the keys I'd snagged from the kitchen counter the night before (a small act of rebellion in a world of pre-approved plans) I headed down the back stairs, the pounding music muted by distance.

The crisp night air was a welcome change from the stale, obnoxious perfume-laden atmosphere of the party. Tucked away at the end of our street, bathed in the warm glow of a vintage lamppost, stood my favourite place in the world - The Emerson Library. A single-story building with a facade reminiscent of a fairytale cottage, it held more memories for me than the entire mansion combined.

Pushing the heavy oak door open, I was greeted by the familiar scent of old paper and warm wood. Alice, the librarian with a mane of silver hair and an encyclopedic knowledge of every story ever written, looked up from her desk. Her smile was as warm as the lamplight spilling across the rows of books.

"Amber! Happy Birthday, dear," she said, her voice as comforting as the worn armchair in my room. "I almost didn't recognize you in all that..." she trailed off, a mischievous twinkle in her eyes.

"Glitter?" I supplied with a groan, rolling my eyes. "Mom went all out this year. More like a disco ball exploded than a Sweet Sixteen party."

Alice chuckled, her laugh lines crinkling around her eyes. "Well, you look lovely nonetheless. Come, let me see what mischief you've gotten yourself into tonight."

I pulled out a crumpled library card from my pocket, the inscription 'Restricted Section' barely visible in the dim light. "Special request," I mumbled, feeling a flicker of excitement I hadn't felt all night.

Alice's smile faded, replaced by a flicker of concern. "The Restricted Section, Amber? Are you sure? Those books aren't for the faint of heart."

My heart hammered a little faster. "Positive," I affirmed, a thrill coursing through me. Maybe, just maybe, there was a story out there that could help me rewrite my own.

Alice hesitated for a moment, seeing that I had no intentions to change my mind anytime soon and finally with a sigh, she led me through the maze of bookshelves. The air grew cooler, the silence deeper. We reached a heavy velvet curtain, its crimson folds concealing a doorway. "Well, its been a while since someone has been in here.." Alice said as she slowly brushed aside the curtain, revealing a dimly lit corridor lined with books bound in leather and iron. Each spine crackled with an intangible energy, emanating a sense of forbidden knowledge.

Alice pointed to a bookshelf at the end of the corridor. "The one on the bottom shelf," she said, her voice hushed. "But be careful, Amber. Some stories choose their own readers."

My heart pounded a frantic rhythm in my chest, a drumbeat against the ominous silence of the Restricted Section. The air here felt different, charged with a tangible energy that prickled at my skin. I hesitantly followed Alice's outstretched finger, my eyes drawn to the lone book on the bottom shelf.

Bound in crimson leather, the cover was devoid of any markings, its surface smooth and cool to the touch. An unsettling aura pulsed from it, a silent promise of secrets whispered and knowledge best left undisturbed. A primal instinct screamed at me to turn back, yet a stronger force, a gnawing curiosity, compelled me forward.

Reaching out, my fingers brushed the cool leather, sending a shiver down my spine. As I made contact with it, the world around me blurred. The library, Alice, everything vanished, replaced by a swirling vortex of colors and emotions. Panic surged through me, a primal scream caught in my throat as I felt myself being pulled into the book.

Then, just as abruptly, the sensation ceased. I blinked, disoriented, my hand still outstretched, fingers brushing the smooth leather of the book. Relief washed over me, so intense it almost knocked me off balance. The world had solidified; Alice stood beside me again, her face etched with worry.

"Amber? Are you alright?" she asked, her voice a lifeline in the sudden silence.

I forced a smile, my voice barely a whisper. "Fine," I croaked, but a tremor ran through my hand, lingering from the terrifying experience. "Just a little lightheaded."

Alice didn't seem entirely convinced, her gaze lingering on me for a moment longer than necessary. Finally, with a resigned sigh, she reached out and brushed a stray strand of hair from my face. "Alright then," she said, her voice laced with concern. "But if you feel anything strange, even the slightest bit off, promise me you'll come straight back here, understood?"

I nodded numbly, still reeling from the encounter. Had I imagined the whole thing? Some elaborate hallucination fueled by too much birthday cake and pent-up rebellion? But the sensation of being pulled, the overwhelming emotions... it felt too real to dismiss.

Taking a deep breath, I gripped the book tighter, its surface now seemingly cool and inert. Maybe it was just an old book, its mystique a product of overactive imagination and a night of escape. Still, a sliver of unease remained, a seed of doubt planted in my mind.

Suddenly, the book in my hand pulsed with a warmth that startled me. I gasped, dropping it like a burning ember. The crimson cover lay open, revealing a single yellowed page within. Scrawled in a language I didn't recognize were strange symbols that seemed to writhe and shift before my eyes. My heart hammered against my ribs, a cold dread settling in my stomach. I was pretty sure I was going insane.

Before I could even process what I was seeing, a guttural voice echoed in the stillness of the Restricted Section, a voice that seemed to emanate from the open page itself. It spoke a single word, a chilling whisper that sent a wave of terror crashing down on me.

"Welcome."
-----------------
Banner credits: sugararmy07