~Chapter One~

Warning: This fanfic takes place 1970 meaning that black and white people didn't mix well (just like the movie.) I'm not gonna be typing out racist slurs. 

If you don't like reading about that type of stuff then don't read this book. 

(Also, I'm not American so if I get any of the footy terms wrong, feel free to correct me)

----------

'There was no race mixing up until 1971. Then the school board forces us to integrate. They combined the white school and the black school into one called T.C. Williams High School.'

-----

Once news got around that the school was becoming integrated, the boys on the football team got worried that the black students would take their starting positions so they trained hard during the summer. 

I was standing next to Sheryl, my younger cousin, who was screaming at the boys for making stupid choices on the field. 

"Come on Kurt. Don't let Ray back you down like that! You're twice his size!" Sheryl brings her hands to her face and sighs in frustration. I stifle a laugh as look up at Coach with a grin on my face before looking back at the boys playing football.

I've always been close with the football team because not only I am the coach's nice but I'm also one of the cheerleaders. Slowly over the years, I formed many close friendships with them. 

I look at the boys as tackle each other to the ground and shake my head. I turned my attention to Sheryl and we began to play 'catch' with one of the footballs. Just as I caught the ball, I heard Alan's voice coming from a distance. I looked behind me and there he was, running down the stone stairs that led to the pitch. 

He was saying something that I could barely hear but before I knew it, all of the boys were running off somewhere. I look at Coach with a confused look on my face as he approaches Sheryl and me.

"You just get Sheryl and Y/N to the school now, Herb," He says then running off to his truck. 

--

Sheryl and I waited at the school for a few minutes before the doors opened and the boys came marching in. "You boys are gonna cool off, come with me to my office. Help me finish packing my things" Coach says. I was walking with Alan, trying to find out what happened.

Alan explained what happened briefly as we walked into the office; however, the conversation was cut quickly as we saw an African-American man standing at the desk. I looked up at Alan with a questioning look but he just shrugged.

"Who are you?" Coach Tyrell inquired, folding his arms over his chest.

The man holds the football to his chest, "I'm Harman Boone. I'm the new assistant Coach." He responds. Coach Tyrell looks down upon Mr. Boone as he talks to him. 

I look between this exchange curiously. The man in front of us didn't seem dangerous in anyway so I didn't understand why Coach Tyrell was being so rude towards him. 

"Coach Boone, the school board have made the decision to put you on my staff. I did not hire you" my uncle says to Coach Boone.

"Well, I came up here to coach at G.W. I did not ask the schools to integrate. I didn't ask to be assigned to your staff, so I guess we're both in a situation we don't want to be in. But I can guarantee you this Coach, I came here to win" 

"Win? Coach Yoast here has been nominated to the Virginia High School Hall of Fame. 15 winning seasons." Coach Tryell boasts.

"I won a couple of titles down in North Carolina." Coach Boonre retaliated with pride. 

I shift on my feet, feeling the one-sided tension rise in the air. "That's double 'A' ball. This here's Virginia. We play triple 'A'" Coach Tyrell spits out, making me a bit confused at the terms he's referring to.

Coach Boone's gaze shifts to look at someone else before responding, "What an opportunity for me then, to learn, from the best."