Prologue

Tap-tap-tap, tap-tap-tap. 

Tap-tap-tap, tap-tap-tap, tap-tap-tap. 

Tap-tap-tap, tap-tap-tap, tap-tap-tap, tap-tap-tap. 

It had been raining steadily for more than four hours. For more than four hours, I had been watching as the rain dripped over a leaf very close to me onto the soggy ground below. With its vibrant red-orange tones and delicate patterns, the leaf stood out against its barren surroundings, like a tiny work of art by nature. Its beauty was unmoved by the events around it. Which events that were, I didn't remember. It didn't seem to matter anyway. 

"I'm cold," a voice spoke beside me, drawing my attention away from the leaf. 

I glanced up to find a little girl with long, dark hair looking at me. She was beautiful and looked innocent amidst the violent storm raging around us. She trembled visibly, and I couldn't blame her. After all, we were both sitting in the forest behind a bush in heavy rain, only clad in thin nightgowns. The question of why we wore the same thing popped up in the back of my mind, but I dismissed it as irrelevant.

"I know," I answered. 

I continued to gaze at the girl, captivated by her extraordinary beauty and piercing blue eyes that resembled glaciers since they conveyed the same sense of mystery. But contrary to glaciers and their coldness, the girl's eyes were filled with a feeling of warmth and familiarity. She reminded me of someone. Someone I'm close to. However, I couldn't figure out who she was. The more I thought about it, the more the answer slipped from my grasp. 

 "If you know, why don't you do anything about it?" she asked. 

"I'm sorry," I replied.

 A wave of guilt and grief threatened to overrun me. I didn't know why this simple question from this girl had such an effect on me. The fascination I had felt earlier caused by the beauty of the leaf had vanished. Its place was now taken by great emptiness. 

What was wrong with me? And what was I even doing here?

Before I could say anything else, she continued, "You should take care of me. Protect me from them." 

Her voice didn't sound accusatory, but...compassionate?

"I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you're referring to. And I don't have anything with me other than this nightgown. But I'll see what...," I said before being interrupted by her. 

"It's too late now. They are coming, and they are going to get us both," the girl whispered suddenly. 

Her eyes widened in fear. Her shaking increased. 

"Who are they?" I asked since it was her second time mentioning "them".

Her soft and anxious features changed. She looked past me into the forest, her blue eyes unfocused, lost in thought. 

"The ones that cost me and my kind too much. Those who come and don't go before they destroy everything. The ones who will be our end if we are not silent, as Mother said." 

When she uttered those words, her gaze met mine with unwavering intensity, admonishing me to remain silent. Though I puzzled over the reference to "as Mother said," her response sent a shiver down my spine, instilling in me a determination to remain silent. An unnatural silence descended upon the forest, interrupted solely by the relentless rumble of the thunderstorm. Nevertheless, a threat concealed by the storm could be sensed.

"Crack."

A crack broke the silence disturbingly close to the bush where we sought refuge in. I dared not draw a full breath, fearing the slightest sound might give out our presence. My weak heart, however, betrayed me. Its frantic beats made my ears ring, surely audible to whatever lurked beyond.