Chapter 6

December 26, 2015

I can say that yesterday was one of the best days of my life. To be honest, I was still in that moment when I woke up.

I am just, you know, trying to remember every moment and savor it.

Then I remembered him.

I received a gift from him for the first time. A ring with my name engraved on it.

I took a good look at my hand and touched it. It was really beautiful.

"Aqui," I said to myself.

After reminiscing, I proceeded to do my usual tasks for the day, which are to help out in our house and to play all day with my friends.

"Are you guys excited for the new year?" Adie asks while we were changing clothes in Russelle's room.

"Of course, I made a bucket list for next year, and I can't wait to do all of it," Cal mentioned.

"Let me guess, Cal. All of it is about reading, right?" Adie muttered.

Cal frowned at him and didn't bother to answer his sarcastic question.

I chuckled softly at them, and I saw Russelle glancing at me. He immediately looked away when our eyes met, but I didn't think much about it. I just figured he was being his usual self.

December 31, 2015

A couple of days after Christmas, we always find ourselves at Russelle's house. We like playing there because it has everything we need. They have a basketball court, a computer, and he also has a PlayStation.

Today, we are at their basketball court again to spend time before the countdown later. Adie is his constant basketball partner.

They always play one-on-one most of the time because I don't want to sweat, and Cal often holds a book and reads it on a corner.

I just like watching them play, and I just cheer them instead because only my mouth is energetic, but my body is not so much.

At times, I am saddened by the fact that time has run so fast and it's almost back to school. It's like when there is no school, I miss studying, and when there is school, I just miss playing all day. It's crazy, but one thing is always sure: I am happy when I am with them.

Later, at midnight, we'll be staying at home because my father wants us to be together, just us. Of course, we all agreed because we like to enter the new year all together.

After spending time with my friends, I went home only to find out that my mother and sister were going to the market to buy preparations.

"Oh, wait for me here," I said, and I hurriedly ran to my room.

I came back downstairs after a minute.

"Here," I said as I gave the money I got for Christmas to my mother.

"What is this?" she asks.

"The money I got last Christmas," I answer.

"Elijah, that money is yours. You should keep it to yourself. Why would you even give that to me?" she asked.

"Mama, it's okay. This is a lot of money, and I don't even know where I should spend it," I said.

"Okay, I'll take it and keep it for future use, or if you want to buy some of your needs. Your father gave me money yesterday to buy supplies for our supper today," she explained, and I just nodded to her.

I really can't think of anything to do with the money. I mean, it's too much for me to hold that amount of money, so it's better if I just give it to my mother.