Chapter 9

February 12, 2016

After Adie's birthday, everything went back to normal. I still haven't talked to Zeke. Up until now, I was still clueless as to what made him angry. I said to myself that I wouldn't think about it anymore, but who am I kidding? I know that I can't get that out of my mind.

I had to keep up with his attitude from the start, and then, for some unknown reasons, I would give up? Hell no!

I made up my mind. I will call him today when I get home from school. I will borrow my mother's phone to call and talk to him. I have to clear things out with him now, or it will get worse later.

"That's all for today. Happy weekend, enjoy," our teacher said before leaving.

"Finally, I can play basketball with my new shoes," Adie excitedly said.

"Do you guys want to play later? By the way, Kean, do you know how to play basketball?" Adie asked.

"Yes," Kean answered.

"Nice, so we can play two versus two. Are you guys down for it?" Adie asks us.

"I am down since we don't have that many assignments," Cal said, and Adie gave him a high five.

"Alright, I am willing to stink for you," I said, and he laughed.

We agreed to come home first to eat and meet at the covered court at three o'clock in the afternoon. I just finished eating, and there's still a lot of time left, so I'll try to call Zeke first. I hurriedly walk to the living room and find my mother, who is currently watching television.

"Mama, can I borrow your cell phone? I'll just call Russelle," I said, and she immediately handed it to me.

"You already know how to use it, right?" she asks, and I nod.

"Thank you, Mama," I added.

I dialed Zeke's number, and it started ringing.

Oh, my god! Why am I shaking right now?

It rang several times before he answered.

"Auntie, how are you?" he asks.

Oh, god! I miss his voice so much.

"Hi, it's Elijah. How are you?" I ask.

"Hmm," he said.

Hmm? What kind of answer is that?

"Hello?" I ask again since I didn't hear him answer.

I even put the cellphone away to see if the call died, but it didn't.

"What is it?" he asks.

"There you are. Why aren't you answering me?" I ask.

"I answered," he said.

"Hmm is not an answer," I said.

"Why did you call me?" he asked.

"Uhm, I w-was just going to say hello," I said.

"Hi," he answered.

"How are you?" I repeated.

"I am fine. How about you?" he asks.

"I am good as well. Later, I'll play basketball," I said.

"With whom? The three of you?" he asked.

"No, Kean will play with us-the one I mentioned to you last time. Do you remember?" I said.

"Psh, does he even know how to play?" he asked.

"Yeah, he said he knew how to play," I answered.

"Okay," he blankly answered.