Chapter 32

In the evening, Jungkook's mother yejin came to chaeyoung's chamber in order to have a word with her

In the evening, Jungkook's mother yejin came to chaeyoung's chamber in order to have a word with her. She was happy that chaeyoung could prove her innocence in the joseon court. Yejin rattled on with all the lurid details of her plan, about yeri's hands in Jungkook's verdict and chaeyoung was in shock.A minute ago she was so happy thinking at last Jungkook realized her love for him.She also counted that may be the case of Jungkook's change of attitude towards her.But she was wrong ! It was yeri's mercy which saved her.Out of realization her legs gave way and she sank to her knees. She felt drained. She wanted to scream but a wordless shriek choked her. This is the start of the finish, she thought. The obliteration, the end, she registered dully in her mind, and closed her eyes in despair. A tear slid down her cheek, but she wiped it away determinedly.

She shook herself as she waited for Jungkook's visit.She needed all her strength, she needed all her calm. And never had the wait been so long, so wretched, so painful. But it gave her time to get a hold on herself and weigh the situation.  

A few seconds later Jungkook entered, moving majestically towards her .The room was dimly lit when he entered. He gave a start when he saw her, awake and sitting up straight.

"I thought you might have slept already" He said calmly

"No, I didn't" chaeyoung's answered in a composed way

"Leave us " He dictated to dae and others.As the double doors closed behind them, chaeyoung felt a sudden uneasiness as the memory of what happened between them returned in all its vividness. She wished someone else was in the room with them.

After a minute of silence she mustered all of her courage and spoke out almost suddenly "Actually I stayed awake to let you know that I shall be leaving for Silla tomorrow morning."

‘For how long?’  He didn't look surprised.

" I don’t want to stay here. I am leaving. I just wanted to let you know my decision."

Chaeyoung was expecting an angry reaction from him when she said it hastily.But surprising her, he looked at her in mute anguish and instead of reciprocating he placed sword on a cushion desk then walked to an open casement leaving hands behind his back, for a while stared out into the dusk. Then, slowly, he turned to face her, but it was still some moments before finally he spoke and when he did his voice sounded hoarse.

"Princess chaeyoung I have always been a proud man who had never cared to ask apology to anyone.As a mighty emperor I won't apologize to no one.It's against my motto.But Since morning many times I’ve been on the point of coming to ask your forgiveness.Not as an emperor but as a husband. I never realised I was a coward until I found I lacked the courage to do so. Now that I have come, it’s so hard...." He paused a moment before resuming his words again

"I am proud of myself thinking I did justice to my wife whereas deeply ashamed of myself while reminiscing the injustice I had done to you as a husband.I still remember those seven oaths I had taken during our wedding day.And I failed miserably keeping it.I treated you so cruelly and wounded your self respect."