Chapter 1

When the light of the Sun illuminates the clearing of the Lilac Forest, the leader of Lavender Island will name the puppy with the necessary characteristics to become an apprentice. A Lobendo, whose snout showed its sharp fangs and on its head lay two tiny deer antlers that were just beginning to grow strongly, could be the one selected for the training that would lead him to be a Protector of the Forest.

The leading Lobendo, Alice, climbed to the top of the Ancestral Hill, where the ancestors would call him the island's future apprentice, let out a howl, and waited for everyone to gather under the hot sunlight.

- Olive and Wolf, stop fighting and go sit next to me! And make it quick, Alice will name the Selected One.

The father snorted with little patience, tired of their fights for no reason.

The leader spoke:

- As we all know, there are three Lobendos with the possibility of becoming the future of the Forest. I ask a step forward to; Caleb, Bailey, and last but not least, Olive...

Now our beloved spirits of the Forest will speak to me and communicate through the Small Ancestral Rock. I ask for silence, and that we contemplate this event.

There was silence, I could feel a breeze running through my fur, a strange and unexpected cold made me shiver, I could feel like I was the center of attention, I closed my eyes for a second trying to manage my insecurity due to this strange moment for me. But, when I opened my eyes everything had stopped, and the other two Lobendos at my side looked at me confused. The clear one looked at me with uncertainty! What was happening? Was the act supposed to be like this?

To my relief, my father approached me and made me realize that something was happening.

- They saw that?

A Lobendo named Charlie jumped out.

- We all saw it...

The leader clarified.

- What are you talking about, father?

- You have just been made an apprentice, a Forest Spirit touched your nose with his and chose you, Olive!

Alice came forward.

- That!? No, impossible, I can't be the Selected One, what if I'm wrong about something? It's a lot of pressure!

- Olive, you don't have to worry, I trust you.

I could see Wolf angry and envious, managing to see hatred in his eyes.

But, it was not the time to think about that... I would have to calm my mind and make sure I trained as it should... Although, this is my recently fulfilled wish, not everything turns out as one expects...

...

The meeting at the Ancestral Hill was over, and back at our cave, my brother did not speak once. My father congratulated me every two seconds, which made me notice Wolf's gaze on me.

- Is everything okay, Wolf?

I asked awkwardly.

- Don't talk to me, I don't want to talk to you.

-Hey, I understand that things don't always turn out as you expect, but that doesn't make you less...

I assured with a smile, trying to make him feel better, but he stopped short, lowering his gaze.