Chapter 34

The noon passed into evening then into night just like that

The noon passed into evening then into night just like that.The sun escaped into the flat lines in the west, leaving the gathering winter clouds edged with blackness. At the same time EmperorJungkook was walking slowly to the royalchamber of chaeyoung. It wasn't a familiar route, the one he was taking, one he had taken seldom since his marriage to chaeyoung. One he should have taken earlier in these past weeks.

Nevertheless one thing Emperor knew, that princess yeri is not going to like the idea of spending night with other queen. He had not been able to give her his company most of the times.In addition to that he has been constantly negligent towards her right of a wife.The thought of keeping physical relationship with yeri sickened him, unlike the past.Maybe she also had noticed the change in him.Even then being too proud she had never deliberately kept him, never said not to go, but was adamant on one thing that it must be her who gives birth of joseon heir apparent, no other wives else.

Yeri knew him since childhood.She had stood with thick and thin of his life.When his uncle used to abuse him cruelly as a act of taking revenge on his father, yeri was only his support.That's why his father wanted his marriage with hers.He remembered that early in their marriage she had always asked for things.Jewelries, or grants of land, or a palace, or a swimming tank in her apartments.As years passed she started to showing a lot interest acquiring political power in court. These came in the guise of helping him, but that wasn't the truth.

She also deserves certain amount of love for him.He had learned that fact a long before.That's why he permitted her the freedom of speaking anything in front of him. They had showed an affection, a liking for him that he expected from a wife, But he had realized over the years that there was no real affection. She did not quarrel with him except for the sake of political reasons.When it comes to their personal life she always acquiesced at everything he said, her voice at times too soothing. Once when asked if she would be with him if he hadn't the crown of this kingdom, at first she had said nothing. Not a single word. Then instantly replied a yes.It was a blatant lie and it hurted him absorbing her love is conditional. But yeri never cared to bring that topic once again.She had been taught, and too well, not to show her inner self to him. Jungkook couldn't help but smile thinking chaeyoung is exactly opposite to yeri.Wise indeed, but innocent and endearing

It was not late when he reached the outer door of  chaeyoung's room, so he hoped she had stayed awake.  He looked around and couldn't spotted her anywhere.Where was she? She knew he was coming...was this another one of her games ? He then felt the coolness of a breeze hit him make him turned to the direction it came from. The wind had come through the entrance to her terrace. He stepped through the entryway and found chaeyoung's shadow standing against the railing, staring out into the night.

Jungkook stopped his tracks for a moment and briefly glanced at chaeyoung's serene face. The way the moonlight and lamp light shone on her face, gave him a feeling like she must be fay or celestial nymph. There was a fetching magnetism around her which beckoned Jungkook towards her.He was not sure whether it was a hallucination or what he saw was in fact real. He gaped at that pleasing sight. Did such beauty exist in the world ? Jungkook wasn't sure.He took a few steps in a daze and stood beside chaeyoung behind without saying a word.His eyes were weeping, for he had not blinked or looked away since seeing her.