Midnight Whispers

The clock ticked past midnight as you waited for Taylor to come home. The dust motes in the air were highlighted by the soft glow of the lamp beside you. You shifted in your seat, glancing at the window, then the clock, and back to the window. Meredith jumped up onto the table, purring loudly, and you rubbed her head affectionately.

You're curled up on the couch, wrapped in a cozy blanket, your mind drifting between consciousness and sleep.

The sound of a car door closing made your heart flutter. The front door creaked open, and Taylor quietly shut it behind her. Her silhouette was barely visible in the dim light.

"Hey, Tay."

Taylor jumped slightly but her face softened into a smile when she saw you. "Hey angel. You're still up?"

"Mhmm, I was waiting for you," you hummed smiling sleepily at her.

"Oh sweetie," she whispered, her eyes a mix of fatigue and adoration. She settled beside you on the couch, pulling you close. She placed a kiss on the top of your head. "I'm sorry I'm so late."

You breathed in her familiar perfume mixed with the smell of leather. "You don't have to apologize," you mumbled, your eyelids growing heavy. "How was work?"

Taylor stroked your hair softly. "Pretty hectic, honestly. There were a lot of meetings, and the photo shoot for the album ran late..."

You yawned, resting your head on her chest. "I'm glad you're home."

She chuckled, the sound vibrating through her chest. "Me too, sweetheart." She tilted your head so that you were looking into her eyes. She must've noticed the weariness on your face, causing her to frown. "You look exhausted."

You gave a half-hearted smile, blinking a few times. "I'm just a little sleepy."

Taylor's expression softened. "Well, let's get you to bed then." With surprising strength, she lifted you off the couch. You let out a small yelp and giggled.

"Tay, I can walk you know," you said, wrapping your arms around her neck.

"I know, but I couldn't resist the chance to sweep you off your feet." She winked, and you rolled your eyes, a smile tugging at your lips.

"You're such a dork."

"But you love me anyway," she said, a teasing tone in her voice.

You pretended to ponder for a moment, earning a playful nudge from Taylor.

"Okay, okay. I do," you laughed.

As you both reached the bedroom, Taylor gently laid you down on the bed. Taylor sat down beside you, brushing a strand of hair from your face. Another yawn escaped your lips.

"Go to sleep, angel," she whispered, kissing your forehead.

You gave her a small nod. "Goodnight, Tay. I love you."

She smiled, her eyes twinkling. "I love you too, sweetheart. Always."