Chapter 5: Exploring New Horizons

We approach the school's cafeteria which was already bustling with life barely after a few minutes the bell was rung.The large hall consisted of many round tables and chairs.The sound of clattering dishes, laughter and hum of voices was quite stimulating. The smell of mouth-watering dishes blended with the chatter from the white students.
"Woah, I've never seen so much food in one place,the cafeteria is overwhelming.."I said looking around.
" Trust me,I understand.But hey , let's try something new together, they'll surely have some exotic dessert, how about we start with those?Alex asked smiling.
"I can't tell for now, I guess I'm really gonna have a taste of foreign meals today"
He smiles and we walk towards the counter.
"We'll be having cheese cake and,s'mores and hamburgers please.." Alex says to the Elderly chef at the counter.
"You've got a Meal card?" He says turning to me.
"Oh.. right.. " I said tapping my forehead, knowing I haven't gotten my own meal card.
"No worries, I got you covered" He says smirking "Make it two of everything"
He continues turning to the counter.
"Hmmm.. pathetic.. kids relying on their boyfriends food.. urgh.. "The chef said out of the blue. I burned with embarrassment.
... Jeez he's not my boyfriend..
"Ma'am, she's not my girlfriend!"Alex said sternly, taking our food from the counter.
He gestures for me to follow him to a seat.
"Sorry about that, anyway" He says looking apologetic.
... Damn.. why would he apologize..."Its fine"
My mood suddenly tilted.
"Let's eat" He says smiling once again.
" Am not sure l'l like them,they look so different from what am used to in Nigeria"
" That's what makes it exciting! Trying new things is an adventure. Plus, you never know, you might discover a new favorite dessert."
" Oh, okay, let's give it a shot."
" Alright "We said digging into the food,he tried the S'mores.I tried out the cheese cake.
" Woah .. this is nice" We said simultaneously savouring the taste, exchanging looks of pleasant surprise.
I could hear whispers from the Judhers staring who were sitting close to us... Obviously not a coincidence..

We finished off the food after a while.
"Well, Thanks, Alex. I had a great time exploring the cafeteria with you. It was nice "
" You're welcome, Elena. I'm glad I could share that experience with you. It's always nice to have someone to venture into the unknown with."
" Definitely. You've made my transition to this new school much smoother. I appreciate your friendship."
" The feeling is mutual, Elena. You're a great friend too. I'm here for you if you ever need someone to lean on or explore more desserts with.

We laugh heartily:"I'm holding you to that, I guess we should head to class now"I said remembering my Backpack.
We finally get to class,white students rush past, literally startling me and Alex.Walking to my desk,I find my bag pack suprisingly on my seat.I walk towards cautiously, Alex laughs when he notices it.
"Come on, your bag's okay. I personally brought it back here"
" You mean you were there when I blacked out? "
" Sure, I believe you're okay now "
" Yeah, am good "I said, burning with shame.

We had other classes for the rest of the day. Finally, at the close of school
While packing my book,I saw Alex
"Hey Alex"
"Hi,Elena how was the rest of your day?

Elena: It was good. I managed to navigate my way through all those classes. Thanks to your tips!

Alex: I'm glad I could help. Remember, you got this! Don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything." Thanks, Alex. You've been an amazing friend. Have a great evening, and I'll see you tomorrow!"I smile warmly while slinging my bag on my shoulder.

"You too, Elena. Take care and enjoy the rest of your day, See you tomorrow! "He says waving me as he leaves the class.
... Ahh.. so nice .. and charming too.. Elena .. get a hold of yourself..
Gently tapping my forehead,I walk out of school. Since I and my Dad's argument on him trying to babysit me, I insisted on going to school on my own.

Hi... Well.. how was it... Lengthy though.. Where do you think their friendship is going tilt to..
Well.. do well to comment and share your thoughts in the comments section. Love you all ❤️💯