Chapter 16

June 27, 2017

A couple of months passed, but Zeke didn't stop sending me messages. He even uses a bunch of different numbers just to text me. I knew it was him because he always uses my second name. I feel awful whenever I don't reply to him, but I think it will be much better that way, so I can forget about him faster.

"Aqui, I want you to know that I don't believe what you said. I felt that you also have feelings for me when you said that you like me too," he texted using a different number.

"Aqui, please tell me what happened."

"Good morning, Aqui. I am going to school now. Take care on your way to school too. I'll be waiting for your reply."

"Aqui, talk to me, please."

"Good afternoon, Aqui. I just finished my lunch. Have you eaten yet? Don't forget to eat so you can keep your cheeks like mochi."

"Aqui, good night to you. I hope you had a good day today. I miss your stories every night. I miss how you update me on what's happening with you. I miss you so much."

He's always texting things like that, and sometimes I'm tempted to answer him, but when I think about what happened that day, I lose my temptation to reply. I suddenly lost my appetite.

Until one day, I received a text from him that made me cry a lot.

"Hi, I know that you will know who I am because of this message, so I won't bother to introduce myself. Aqui, first of all, I want to say sorry to you if you ever feel so annoyed every time I messaged you. I am sorry that you have to wake up every morning receiving my texts. I just can't help myself because it's so lonely here. Texting you is my only way to feel at ease even though I know I won't be receiving a reply from you. I got so used to our usual conversations, and that's why I'm always looking for it. I missed your story every night. I still don't know what happened to us so I kept reminiscing that day. I ask myself, what did I do that made you feel this way towards me? I am not hoping that you will reply to me this time. I simply want to tell you that this might be the last time that I will message you because I am leaving, and they think that this is the best for me too. I will go to America to continue my studies. Dad got a job opportunity there so we need to be there with him. I don't know when we can return so I think this is the best time to write this to you. Anyway, I hope everything went well for you. I still wish you the best. Thank you, Aqui, for everything," he texted and my tears started to flow.

Fortunately, I was in my room at the time, so no one saw or heard me crying.

When I read that, my feelings were mixed. There is sadness, anger, and frustration. I am sad because our situation is like this. I'm mad and, at the same time, frustrated at myself for letting him go just like that.

I'm with Adie, Cal, and Kean today. They know that me and Zeke are not talking anymore, but they still don't know the reason behind it. I don't show them that I'm sad, but every time I am alone, I cry.

"Cal, have you enrolled yet?" Kean asked.

"Yes, a while ago. How about you?" Cal asked him.

"I still haven't because my mother is kind of busy at the moment, but she said she is free tomorrow, so I'll probably be enrolled tomorrow," he said, and then he turned to me.

"How about you, Eli?" he asked.

"Yeah, I'm still not enrolled as well," I answered.

"You guys should enroll now so we can all be together in one section," Cal uttered.

"Time is so fast. We're going to be high school students next school year. I hope we don't have a hard time at school," Adie muttered.

"Don't worry, Adie. We'll help each other out," Cal said to him.