𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑜𝑛𝑒

CHAPTER ONE
I Always Feel Like Somebody's Watching Me

Preston saw Damon and Bonnie still holding hands in the far woods. "Never have I ever been so happy to see you." Preston breathed out.

"Well that got awkward fast." Damon referenced the hand-holding.

"What happened? Where is everybody?" Bonnie wondered, then she started walking away.

"Where you going?" Damon questioned. "Hey."

Damon and Preston shared a look, then quickly followed after Bonnie.

"Well, I feel a fang. I'm still a vampire. Either I'm a dead vampire, or Mystic Falls is no longer magic-free." Damon brought up as they reached the town.

"Look."

"I definitely blew that up about an hour ago." Damon replied.

"Why don't we see any people? If we're still on the other side, we should at least be able to see the living." Bonnie questioned.

"Maybe we're hallucinating. Maybe we're just stuck in a black box of mud and are just seeing Mystic Falls. Either that or we're in a different version of Hell." Preston mused.

"Where the hell are we?" Damon asked, looking around. Before Preston could be literal, Damon added: "And I don't mean geographically."

"I have no idea." Bonnie whispered.

They were wandering in the sun. "Ugh. How many more streets are we gonna wander?" Damon groaned.

"How many times are you gonna ask me questions I don't have the answers to?" Bonnie retorted, getting Preston to let out a half-scoff, half-laugh. "There's something weird about these cars."

"It's like the '90s." Preston noticed.

"Yeah, they're almost all 20 years old or more, and yet they look brand-new." Damon ran his hand over one of the cars. "And that is Elena's no-so-burnt-to-a-crisp house." Damon said.

There was a newspaper on the ground and Damon picked it up. He glanced at it, then turned around with a weird expression on his face. "Look." He showed both Preston and Bonnie the paper.

"'Rare solar eclipse expected to be seen across 12 states.'" Bonnie read.

"The date." Damon rephrased.

"May 10th, 1994. Is that... are we... that's impossible." Bonnie said.

Preston shrugged. "To be fair, there has been weird shit going on lately in our lives."

It started getting dark and the three looked up at the sky at the solar eclipse.

"I don't think we should be asking where we are. I think we should be asking when we are." Damon said.

Preston let out a sigh of disappointment. "1994, dumbass." She responded.

They sat on the porch, still trying to wrap their heads around it.