Part 9

POV: Author

I had not left my room in over two days and Mother had become concerned. Despite her worries, my focus remained on the unsettling prospect of marrying a man old enough to be my father, who already had children around my age and my sister's age. The mere thought of it turned my stomach. How could my father allow such a union? It felt like I was being treated as a possession rather than a person.

Feeling trapped and overwhelmed, I found myself lost in a torrent of emotions. The weight of the situation crashed down on me, leaving me exhausted from fighting, crying, and reasoning with those around me. As tears streamed down my face, I couldn't bear the idea of becoming a bargaining chip in Mr. Shikongo's twisted game.

Lost in my despair, a knock broke the silence, and my sister Maria entered the room, her eyes filled with fear and desperation. She pleaded with me not to go through with the marriage, her voice thick with emotion. I knew the consequences of defying our parents, but her words stirred something inside me.

As she confessed about Mr. Shikongo's late-night visits, my heart sank. I held her close, promising to protect her. Despite my weariness, I knew I had to find a way out for both of us. Tomorrow, we would make a plan.

Following a visit from his doctor, Mr. Park found himself in a light-hearted moment with his brother, Gideon. Their banter filled the room with laughter, momentarily easing the tension that lingered in the air.

Gideon's playful teasing about visiting the hospital for Nurse Kelly's sake brought a smile to Mr. Park's face. As the conversation turned to Gideon's upcoming wedding, an unexpected invitation was extended. Honoured to be chosen as his brother's best man, Mr. Park's thoughts drifted to the complexities of relationships.

Reflecting on his past experiences and his elusive nature when it came to love, Mr. Park shared a rare moment of vulnerability with his brother. Memories of high school, particularly his bond with Emily, resurfaced, prompting a mix of nostalgia and uncertainty.

As Gideon playfully teased about contacting Emily, Mr. Park hesitated, unsure of what reconnecting with his past flame could potentially unravel. The memories of their shared ambitions and intimate moments resurfaced, evoking a bittersweet longing for a time long gone.

Deciding to take a chance, Mr. Park tentatively agreed to a coffee date with Emily, provided she was single and willing. The prospect of rekindling an old flame stirred conflicting emotions within him, igniting a flicker of hope amidst the shadows of the past.

Vote, Comment & Share