188

Today is Meredith's trial to determine the life of her medical career. Jackson and I walk in and read the sign 'Room Reserved for Medical Commission'.

I shake my head as Richard comes around the corner.

Jackson: hey. You just get back in town?

Webber: yeah. I landed last night. Um, listen. I'm sorry I didn't call you back. I didn't think it was a good idea for you guys or your– your mom to come to Sabrina's service.

Jackson: mom didn't go?

Webber: the family's not ready to see anyone, especially from Seattle.

Savannah: which is understandable.

As we walk into the waiting area, I could hear Teddy and Owen arguing.

Link: everything okay?

Owen: Allison had us up til 3:00am.

Teddy: us? You slept through the whole thing. Or you pretended to. Hey, hey! Is that coffee?

I chuckle as Link gives the cup to Teddy.

Bailey: I don't remember all you people putting in requests for the day off.

Webber: and whose fault is it they need to?

Bailey: Richard. Nice to see you.

Webber: Bailey.

Meredith walks in with Andrew, Amy, Alex, and her lawyer, Nancy Klein. The tension in the air was cold as ice, causing me to roll my eyes.

Savannah: alright, I have to say something before we go in there. Our goal is to make sure Mer keeps her medical license. And we can't do that if we're going to be petty and shit. None of this pettiness is going to help Meredith against this panel of surgeons. If you guys don't get your shit together like mature adults, I will personally kick your ass out the door? Do I make myself clear?

Everyone replies with "yes, ma'am".

~~~~~

I'm sitting in between Amelia and Jackson as the trial starts.

Judge Benson: good morning. Based on the number of witnesses on the list I just read, this one's gonna be a circus, so let's go ahead on record. My name is William Benson, I am the judge who's been assigned to this case. We have Ms. Ashley Cordova, who's representing the Medical Commission, and Ms. Nancy Klein, who will represent the respondent. The commission panel includes Dr. Aaron Rosenburg, Dr. Maria Lang, and—

The door opens and a man enters the room.

Castello: I'm here. I'm here. I'm here. Sorry. Traffic. Light was out on Broadway.

I look up at the man, and my heart stops. I let out a shaky breath as I grab Jackson's arm.

Judge Benson: Dr. Rosenburg, Dr. Lang, and panel chair...

Savannah: Dr. Paul Castello.

Jackson: what?

Savannah: that's the man that killed my best friend.

~~~~~

Judge Benson: we will follow these protocols throughout these proceedings.

I lean into Jackson.

Savannah: ever since Derek died, I've been trying to get his license revoked. Hell, even before that. But I can't seem to get it through. He's too well-liked. I saw him eight months ago during my last attempt. He has no right judging Mer right now.