Chapter 17 - Rest

(More of a filler)

(But a chapter nevertheless)

Colin

By nightfall we had made it about halfway to Sierra. It was then that Felicia started to feel the affects of exhaustion.

I first started noticing it when her breathing got heavier. Her wing beats started to become more distant. We slowly, ever so slowly lost altitude. It was when she was panting that I knew we had to stop.

"Felicia," I called

"What," She spits through her breathing

"You need to get some rest," I sternly say.

Her voice is filled with some form of determination, "No... We must... keep moving."

Her physical state tells me otherwise, "Felicia you are in no condition to fly right now."

"I'm fine... Trust me."

I was about to say something but she apparently missed a flap and nearly tumbled out of the sky. I was almost thrown off if it wasn't for my one hand gripping one of her spinal spikes. 

"Felicia!" I yell as I dangle over what could have been my death.

With her help I was able to get back on her back safely. This time keeping a firm grip.

"Ok you win," Felicia sighs, "But no more than 8 hours!"

"How bout a day?"

She growls, "9 hours"

I give her a glare she can't see, "17"

"13," her voice sounded final.

I groan knowing this is probably the best I'll get, "Fine."

At least we'll have half a day to rest with an hour to spare. We quickly land in a clearing in some small forest. 

I hop off Felicia's back. Hitting the ground with a thud. I start to stretch my joints. Hearing multiple satisfying pops all along my body. I turn to see Felicia giving me a weird look.

"What?" I ask, confused.

"Are you sure your body should be making that noise?" She questioned.

I came to a realization what she meant, "Oh so you don't know about popping joints."

Shes still skeptical, "That doesn't sound good."

I just give a laugh then crack out my wise voice, "It does but a thing. You need not fear anything my dearest friend."

She just gives me a funny look before lying down. Stretching like a cat herself. Though I heard no popping sounds. So I decide to ask my own question.

"Do dragons' bones not pop?"

She stops mid-stretch, "No"

I snap my fingers, "And there you have it."

By now I've taken a seat next to a rock, so I just rest my arm on it while saying, "Why you think it's weird our bones pop."

She just shakes her head before resting it on her front talons before her face scrunches up. I see her sniff the air a few times. I raise a brow.

"Smell anything?" I ask.

Her face doesn't change, "I'm... not sure. It's a familiar scent, but at the same time I don't recognize it."

"Forget it." She says closing her eyes.

 I just shrug and decide to get some shut eye myself. Leaning my head against the jagged stone. Unpleasant, but no doubt there is worse. In a few minutes I somehow manage to drift away.