Prologue

I flopped backwards on my bed, exhausted from unpacking as I looked up at the foreign ceiling above me, my stomach full of Butterfree. It felt like yesterday I was in my old house in the Kalos region, and it pained me to think that I had to leave all of my old hobbies behind when mom decided to move to Paldea. I didn't have very many friends to begin with, but the landscapes there were absolutely facinating to say the least. Looking out my bedroom window, I could see unfamiliar Pokémon frolicking about the wind, paying no thought as to where it was they ended up, and I envied them. To be a bird Pokémon, and fly to and fro without ever feeling out of place- THAT'S a TRUE talent! But that wasn't even the worst bit.... No, not at ALL! Upon arrival I had figured out that I was to be enrolled to a school in a city called Mesagoza far from my new home: Uva Academy, it was named. I didn't know how to feel when she announced it to me, but one thing for certain was that I couldn't shake these blasted Butterfree in my abdomen! My mom came up, carrying a tray with soup, and cucumber sandwiches on the side for me as she said, "WHOO! What a day, huh?" "Mm-hmm." Was all I could saying response as I kept my eyes glued to the window. Letting out a sigh, I heard my mom set down the tray, and seat herself on the edge of my bed as she said, "Spirit, I know how difficult this is for you, but trust me when I say that you're going to LOVE it here in Paldea! It's a new life; a fresh start for you and I." "Hm." I replied, not even glancing her way. She ran her fingers through my glossy, candy pink hair before softly kissing my cheek, and she left the tray in my room leaving with, "Why not explore the place a bit? Get familiar with the surrounding, yeah?" And she started down the stairs as she hummed to herself. That was going to be what I missed most, seeing as how I was signed up to live in the dorms for the entirety of the year until summer! Reluctantly, I peeled myself from my mattress, and started sluggishly down the stairs and into the kitchen for starters, which was joined with a quaint little living room where my mom was busily putting up knickknacks and the like. Noticing me, she said, "So you've finally mustered the strength to leave your room, eh? I tell you, I LOVE the spacious yard we have outside! There's room enough for you and your new friends to play when you get some. And don't even get me started on the Garden, like, SO many veggies and fruits! I hardly see reason to go to the market with an abundance like this." "Too bad I'll be miles away in a foreign city." I sighed. "Now Spirit, the Director had already promised that everything has been put in place! All that's needed is to have your application papers signed, and your off on your own adventure." "And out of your hair..." "Spirit, really. You act like I'm sending you away because I'm tired of you! All I want is for you to go out, and see what our new home provides for you." "Then what was so bad about Kalos? Was that not "abundant" enough?" "Honey," my mom said in a desperate, and exasperated tone, "I know you're upset with me, but you can give Paldea a chance at least! Who KNOWS who you'll meet! You may even find that special someone for all I know." "M-MOM!" I cried, embarrassed. "What? You're getting about that age, you know?" "M-Mom....." I groaned, sighing as I plopped down on the couch. "So are you going to glue yourself to the sofa now?" She asked, still rushing here and there about the room. I remained silent as I looked up at the ceiling, thinking about my old home and the festivities we partook in, and it made my heart break. I knew I wouldn't like Paldea one bit, and I'd never make a friend. THAT was why we moved! That night was just as restless as the week of the move; lying there in an unfamiliar room in an unfamiliar house. There is where I made a silent oath to myself that I would never stop thinking about home. But you may find that what you think you know about yourself, may not always be what is true, and you'll find that you end up becoming something that you'd never expect you'd ever become.