Part 12

POV: Mr Parks

I sat at the dining table, engrossed in my work, when suddenly Gideon burst through the door, exclaiming, "So, how long will I have to pretend that Hannah didn't kiss you?!" His laughter filled the room until he noticed the serious expression on my face.

"What's wrong with you?" I asked, Gideon taking a seat beside me and helping himself to my Hot Chocolate.

"As a caring, over-protective brother," he responded with a sigh, "I deserve the full story served with muffins and spoilers. Your business is my business until I'm six-feet underground."

I quirked an eyebrow. "Your question should be directed to Hannah."

"Which question? About the first or the second kiss?" Gideon retorted, as I closed my laptop and got up to leave.

As the doorbell rang, Gideon rushed to answer it, greeting Emily who had unexpectedly shown up. From the other room, I strained to listen to their conversation. Why was Emily here? I preferred to remain unseen; I didn't want her to know I was in Gideon's house.

The mere mention of engagement sent me into a whirlwind of thoughts. I grabbed my car keys and drove to the ocean, a place where I always found peace. It was the only place where my mind felt calm and free. The memory of taking Hannah there flooded my mind, reminding me of moments where she had been by my side ever step during my recovery.

Now, thoughts of Hannah haunted me, knowing she was now married and possibly far beyond my reach. It was a bitter pill to swallow. Escaping from Gideon's watchful eye seemed to be what I needed, prompting me to contemplate a getaway to rid myself of these emotions.

*****BEGINNING OF FLASHBACK*****

POV: Mr Park

At a family dinner, tensions rose as Gideon and I argued over my attendance at his upcoming wedding. Hannah's presence always brought a sense of warmth to the table, her understanding demeanour never failing to ease tensions.

"Hannah, we need your input on this matter," Gideon said. "Would it not make sense for my brother to bring a date to my wedding?"

Hannah turned her head from Gideon and met my gaze. "What do you want, Mr Park?" she asked me.

"It would be an honour to show up to my brother's wedding alone," I answered.

"So shall it be," she said.

Gideon not ready to accept defeat, was completely shut off after Hannah's response. "You cannot convince me that my brother would rather go solo to my wedding than with a partner. Who would he dance with?"

"Where there's no will there's no way, Gideon."

"I will pay you a million pounds just to be my brother's date to my wedding."

Dumbfounded was not the perfect word to describe how Hannah and I looked at Gideon. "Impossible," she let out.

"I can transfer the money right now," Gideon smiled in desperation.

"I know you have the money but I was referring to being your brother's date to your wedding. I cannot do that."

My eyebrows shot up in surprise. Why not?

"Let us say that at the time of my wedding, you are not working for us anymore, meaning that we are no longer your employers...would you still consider my brother?"

She shook her head. "Even if he was a stranger, I would not consider him. He's not my type."

"What disqualifies my brother?"

She bit her bottom lip in hesitation. "He's too handsome," she answered.

*****END OF FLASHBACK*****

During that heated discussion, Gideon attempted to persuade Hannah to be my date to the wedding, offering her a sum of money. The absurdity of the proposal left us both incredulous. Hannah's refusal was clear and final, declaring that I was not her type due to my supposed good looks.

I was left dumbfounded by her words, struggling to comprehend how I could be simultaneously too handsome and yet not good enough for her. The memory haunted me as I reflected on the complexities of human relationships.

As I stood by the ocean, waves crashing against the shore, I realised that some wounds may never fully heal. The thought of escaping reality to find solace elsewhere grew stronger in my mind, an urge to leave it all behind becoming more profound.

Lost in my thoughts, I pondered the unpredictability of love, longing for a sense of peace that seemed forever out of reach. The vastness of the ocean mirrored the depth of my emotions, a turbulent sea of longing and regret swirling within me.

Vote, Comment & Share