Part 14

*****Flashback

POV: Gideon

I had just come back from work when I heard my brother's laugh when I got to the front door. He was laughing so hard that my ears couldn't believe what they were hearing. I opened the door to find Jeremiah with a smile on his face and tears rolling down his face. I was jealous because I was the only person, well including mother of course, that could make Jeremiah laugh as hard as he was. "Why are we laughing?" I asked, concerned.

"Hannah was just telling me a childhood story. How was work, brother?"

It was refreshing seeing my brother happy. I grew up always seeing him putting on a brave face for me...but the past few months really revealed a lot to me that I thought I knew about my brother but I actually didn't. Funny how you think you know someone just because you've spent your entire lives together but in actual fact, I was learning a lot about my brother.

Even as I was in the room, I became invisible as Jeremiah continued his talk with Hannah. He was genuinely interested in listening to her. His eyes twinkled with so much joy and life. Crazy how I never noticed that before. It melted my heart to see my brother not pushing away someone, burying his head in a book, secluding himself in the house or disappearing, he was actively, genuinely and happily conversating with someone because he wanted to.

It hit me that Jeremiah couldn't stand someone who talked too much. How on earth had he not told Hannah to shut up?! He tells me that all the time. I glanced at them before going to my room, not like they would notice if I'm gone or anything.

*****End of flashback

POV: Mr Park

As the waves of the ocean hit my feet, I couldn't help but reminisce my time with Hannah at the beach.

*****Flashback

"One day when you are able to walk on your own, we will come here and have ice-cream and admire the beauty of God's creation," she said, as she sat in the backseat of the car.

She could not drive so Gideon hired a driver for me to take me wherever I wanted. I always sat in the passenger seat, she always referred to me as her passenger princess, which only she was allowed to call me. Sometimes we would watch the ocean from the car, other times would be Hannah going out of the car to play with the water and just sit in the sand. Due to my situation, I could not be far from the car and I just did not want people feeling sorry for me. So if it was not Hannah being playful at the beach by herself, watching the waves crashing on the sand with me in the car, then she would be sleeping in the backseat.

She talked a lot...a lot but she was good company. When she would run out of things to say, which was on very rare occasions, silence would rain until she remembers something that she wants to share with me. Most times, I would want to be alone but Hannah would stick to me like glue and only disappear when Gideon comes home, then Gideon would stick to me like glue. If only they knew something called "personal space".

*****End of flashback

Hannah, I can now walk but you're not here.

POV: Hannah

Kathrine was such a blessing to me. If it was not for her, I wouldn't know where I could possibly hide out my little sister. My family was searching desperately to marry me off to a grandpa and I was not standing for it. I bought a new phone and changed my number. I didn't want anyone knowing my location until I manage to find a way to get my sister and I out of this city.

Here and there, Mr Park would cross my mind but I could not do anything about it. He is a handsome man and he'll surely find someone worth his time and presence. I had disqualified myself from the moment I walked out Gideon's house. It's not like he'd ever pursue me, anyway.

Nurse Kelly seems like a fine woman, I cannot just picture them together but she is very hardworking and beautiful. Maybe he'll reunite with the Emily that he once mistook me for. Once I leave for a place where Mr Shikongo's men would not find me, I know that I would be truly free and so will Maria.

POV: Mr Park

As I walked into my house, Lady Paula extended her greetings and welcomed me home. "This place is not the same without you in it, sir," she smiled at me.

She looked over the house while I stayed with my brother. In all honesty, I did not want to return so soon. Although it had been about 6-7 months, the memory of my unfortunate incident was still fresh in my mind. I walked into my room and sat on my bed.

Was I lied to about Hannah getting married? Why would anyone lie about such a sensitive matter? Why didn't she get married? Maybe I am the reason why she was not wedded. Had the husband found out about her disloyalty and disrespect with me? If Hannah is not married, where is she? Was she still around? Why was her little sister with Kathrine?

I reached inside my pocket to pull out my wallet when a little paper fell on the floor. I picked it up and noticed the number that was written on it.

Abigail.

She must've slipped it into my pocket when the wave of shock hit me. I looked at the number and still contemplated to call it. What was the worst that could happen - her imaginary husband answering? I slowly dialled the number but I threw the phone on the bed. This was madness!

What if she actually picks up, what will I say? Hi, hey, good evening...??

What was wrong with me?! I walked back to the bed and grabbed the phone, with the number still displaying on the screen, I dialled call. As the phone rang, my breathing slowed down as I could hear my heart beating. The room was silent and I was just praying that she wouldn't pick up. Although I did want her to pick up but I also didn't want her to. When did I become so indecisive?

"Hello?" she answered.

My mouth fell open as I looked at the screen.

It was her.

It was her voice.

I cancelled the call and sat on the bed as I couldn't fathom what had just transpired.

Vote, Comment & Share