𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑓𝑖𝑣𝑒

CHAPTER FIVE
Truth Be Told

Preston found herself hesitating as she knocked on the door to see Elena.

    "Who is it?"

    "Your girlfriend who is very much alive." Preston answered.

    Elena rushed to open the door with a smile on her face. She pulled Preston into a tight hug, then kissed her lips. Eventually it felt like barely any time had passed since they kissed and when they pulled away from each other. "You're really back!" Elena whispered with happy tears in her eyes.

    Preston looked at the bed that had a bag on it. Preston furrowed her brows. "What's that for?" She asked out of curiosity.

    "Oh, I'm working at the hospital now. I'm going for my shift now actually... why don't you come? It could be fun." Elena offered with so much hope laced in her tone.

    Despite Preston's irrational fear and hatred for hospitals, she agreed. "Fine, for you, I'll go." Preston responded.

    Elena smiled, "then let's go."

    When they arrived at the hospital, Elena left to change quickly. Preston looked up from her hands to see Elena in her uniform. "How?"

    "How what?" Elena asked.

    "How do you look beautiful in anything? I mean— really? How is that possible?" Preston asked, lovestruck.

    Elena playfully rolled her eyes. "Would now be a bad time to tell you I got Alaric to compel my 'good memories' away of Damon being a 'good friend'?" Elena brought up.

    "What?" Preston questioned with her hands in her pockets.

    "I got Alaric to compel the good things apparently Damon did as a friend." Elena rephrased.

    Preston rose her brows. "You— okay then." Preston mumbled.

    Preston ignored the phone call Elena made to Stefan, who was trying to convince her to get Alaric to uncompel her.

    A woman with dark brown hair and a doctor's coat placed a coffee in a to-go-cup down and Elena stared at the coffee cup.

    "I'm just not... ready. I gotta go." Elena said, hanging up the phone. Elena looked at Preston who was waiting for an explanation. "Alaric said when he went on a date with Jo, he couldn't compel her to forget the date." Elena explained, walking towards the coffee cup.

    "Maybe she's a witch." Preston shrugged.

    Elena seemed too distracted to hear what she said. She took a sip of the coffee, making Preston to furrow her brows even more if that were possible. No vervain.

    Jo — the woman with dark brown hair Preston saw — stepped out of the room right after Elena placed the cup back down. "Elena."

    "Hi."

    "I didn't think you were here today." Jo said, confused.