Time Is All It Takes

Sam played on the living room floor with Molly. Peekaboo always made the little girl burst into peals of laughter.

"Oh! I love you, sweetie!"

Gluntz watched with a smile...on the surface. Admittedly, she did feel envious of the fact that her daughter seemed to enjoy being with Sam more than her.

...

On many occasions, she would try to play with Molly, but she seemed to instantaneously lose her energy when it was just the two of them.

"Come on, Molly Wolly! Play with Mommy!" She offered her each of her favorite toys: her princess doll, her teething ring and her mini piano. Molly took her doll, but then moved to the corner to play alone. "Uh!", Gluntz grunted.

On another day, she tried to help her eat her dinner, which was a jar of mashed vegetables. Molly simply kept her lips closed and turned her head, going "Mm-mm". Gluntz didn't blow up, but she certainly didn't appreciate her daughter's little rebellious act.

"You gotta eat, Molly! Don't you wanna grow up to be big and strong, like Mommy?"

Molly still had her head turned.

"Here. Let me", Sam requested.

"Be my guest."

Sam picks up the little spoon and scoops up some of the food. Molly actually opened up and ate the veggies.

"Yay! That's my girl!"

Gluntz crossed her arms.

...

Now, today, she was starting to lose her patience.

"Oooh! I know Molly just loves you, Sam! Not like I had to go through the painful process of giving birth to her!"

"Gluntz? What are you talking about?"

"Of course she loves her daddy! I mean nothing to her apparently!"

"Seriously! What's the problem?!"

"Like you don't know..." Gluntz crosses her arms.

"No, I don't." He stands up, Molly sitting on his elbow.

Taking a breath, Gluntz then says, "It's just... Why doesn't Molly love me?"

Sam gasps. "Of course she loves you! Why wouldn't she?"

"She never lets me do anything", she said bitterly. "Look, see? She won't even look at me! She's hiding her face on your shoulder!"

"Maybe it's because you're scaring her", Sam said in a low voice, trying to calm Molly's nerves. "Don't worry, baby. Mommy'll be okay. Won't she?" He aimed that last question at Gluntz.

"I don't know."

"You should know! I don't know what's gotten into you lately, Gluntz, but I think you should take some time to figure it out."

The young woman was surprised. "What are you saying?"

"Maybe you need some time out of the house. Perhaps you can work things out by staying with your parents."

"Are you...breaking up with me?"

"No. Just trying to help you."

——

Gluntz packed a bag. She had at least two days worth of necessities in there.

Lianna had the car waiting outside. She watched as her daughter gave her baby a goodbye kiss before entering the car.

...

As the car pulled away, Molly reached her hands out, saying "Ma ma!"

Upon hearing this, Sam looked down at his daughter and kissed her head. "Don't worry, Molly Wolly. Mommy'll be back soon.