42

42 - Choosing Fire Over Fuel

ZARA

       The cozy ambiance of Haden's childhood home enveloped us as we settled around the dinner table. The flickering candlelight cast a warm glow, creating an atmosphere that blended familiarity and anticipation. I wasn't sure what to expect from his parents, but they embodied the words class and elegance.

Patricia, Haden's mother, gracefully set an aromatic dish of roasted vegetables at the center before sitting across from me. They both smiled at me as if expecting me to say something. What did you say to the parents of your mate? To the parents of an Alpha after you've been a rogue your entire life?

I found myself twiddling my thumbs under the table, unsure of what to say.

Hesitating, I finally spoke, "You... you have a wonderful home."

Patricia's smile widened, a maternal glimmer in her eyes. "Oh, thank you, dear. Conrad had it built from scratch as we transitioned through the Alpha-Luna post."

I turned my gaze to Conrad, Haden's father, who exuded a quiet pride in the accomplishment. He was seated upright in a wheelchair, and his color was pale.

"It must have taken forever," I mused, trying to find common ground in the conversation.

Conrad chuckled, his voice carrying the weight of experience. "No, not long, though it was held up for months because we were all trying to rebuild after the Rogue King's attack."

The mention of the Rogue King cast a momentary shadow over the conversation, a stark reminder of the shared history that connected everyone in the room. Conrad's eyes, however, reflected resilience and strength, a testament to the pack's ability to rebuild and endure in the face of adversity.

Patricia's gaze softened as she continued, "It was a challenging time for all of us, but we emerged stronger. Our pack rallied together, and Haden's leadership meant everything to the pack, especially after his brother had to move to London. We're so proud of you, honey."

The words hung in the air, resonating with a mix of maternal pride and genuine admiration. Haden, seated beside me, received his mother's praise with a humble nod, his eyes reflecting a blend of gratitude and responsibility.

"And he led the pack for years and rebuilt systems that were broken down, thankfully with the strength of his friends and family by his side," Patricia added, turning her attention to Conrad. "An Alpha can lead a pack successfully, but with a Luna by his side, anything is possible."

"Now, Patricia, this dinner isn't about all that. Tell me, Zara, how long were you a rogue?" Conrad asked as he bit into his lasagne.

Feeling the eyes of the room on me, I navigated through the intricacies of my past, touching upon my childhood and how my family was brutally attacked. They both listened keenly, with concerned expressions on their faces and I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. I mean, were they really concerned or was it just an act? How concerned could they be after just meeting me?

Very concerned, I heard Haden's voice in my head which made me jolt and look at him.

"How... how did you do that?" I said to him. He chuckled and reached for my hand.

We have a bond now that I marked you, but you've had walls up ever since. This is the first time you've really been... vulnerable since then, he voiced to me.

"This feels invasive, stop it," I frowned at him making him laugh.

Only you can stop me, princess, he chuckled, come on try it.