1

The air was charged with anticipation as the end-of-year prom drew near. Neel and Devyani, now the best of friends, found themselves caught in a delicate dance of unspoken emotions. Though Neel had mustered the courage to confess his feelings to Devyani twice before, she had turned him down, expressing a desire to keep their friendship intact because she didn't want to put it at any risk, claiming that the friendship was personal to her.

But over time, her feelings had evolved, and she now found herself wrestling with the same unspoken emotions that he once held.

And as the prom night came closer, both Neel and Devyani were hoping for something magical to happen. Devyani had decided that this was the perfect time to tell Neel about her changing feelings and had even gathered the courage to ask him to be her date. Meanwhile, Neel, respecting Devyani's pace, decided to wait, allowing her the space to admit her feelings when she was ready.

However, fate took an unexpected turn just hours before the grand event as Neel was worried that he hadn't heard from Devyani at all. He tried calling her repeatedly and sending texts that strangely remained unanswered, and as the clock ticked away, his concern grew into panic.

In a twist of irony, Devyani, broken-hearted and unaware of Neel's growing concern, witnessed him from a distance, accepting an invitation to the prom from another girl. Her steps faltered, her heart ached, and a lump formed at her throat with the cold realisation dawning upon her. She had missed her chance.

Dejected and hurt, she decided to walk away silently, not wanting to interfere with Neel's happiness. As she disappeared into the night, the weight of unspoken words hung heavy in the air. Neel, still clueless about Devyani's intentions, continued to wait, oblivious to the shattered hopes and unexpressed feelings that now lingered between them.

Devyani sat in her room, attempting to mask her disappointment as she fiddled with her phone. The soft glow of fairy lights adorned her walls, creating a comforting ambiance that contrasted with the turmoil in her heart. Alka, her older sister, could sense that something was wrong, recognising her younger sister's behaviour all too well for she had once been in that position. She knocked gently on the door before entering, concern etched across her face.

"Kya baat hai, Devyani? Tum toh aaj ke liye kitni excited thi, tho aaj kya hogaya?" Alka inquired, taking a seat beside her sister.

Devyani forced a weak smile, trying to dismiss the concern in her sister's eyes. "Kuch bhi nahi Didi, wo hume bas bukhaar jaisi feeling aarahi hai isliye."

Alka, however, wasn't convinced. She had observed her sister's behaviour for quite some time and sensed that there was more to the story than a simple thing as illness. Leaning back against the bed, Alka fixed Devyani with a penetrating gaze.

"Devyani, hum tumhe bohot acche tarah se jaante hai. Baat sirf bukhaar ya bimari ki nahi hai." Alka pressed gently. "Kya baat hai?"

Devyani hesitated, her gaze falling to her hands in her lap. The weight of unspoken words and unfulfilled desires pushes down on her, making it difficult to calculate the complex emotions swirling within her.

"Koi saath de ya na de, hum tho hai na tumhare saath? Apni Didi ko bhi nahi bataoge?" Alka reassured, placing a comforting hand on Devyani's shoulder.

Taking a deep breath, Devyani decided to confide in her sister. She recounted the events leading up to the prom, the courage she had mustered to ask Neel, only to witness him accepting someone else's invitation.

Alka listened intently, her expression a mix of empathy and concern. As Devyani poured out her feelings, Alka could see the pain etched across her sister's face, and a surge of protective sisterly instinct washed over her.