Just A Dream

Your eyes slowly fluttered open, only to be greeted by an unfamiliar sight. You don't remember going to sleep here. You seemed to be at Nilmer's Highland, except the area was no longer empty.

Where a desolate plain of grass once was, a large circus tent stood proudly. The vibrant colours were near painful to look at to your unadjusted eyes, vertical pink and magenta stripes of fabric almost blinding in the cold January sun. Bright pink and purple flags hung from poles atop the tent, fluttering lazily with the wind. A sign stood on two tall metal poles just in front of the pink curtained entrance, gold letters reading the word 'CIRCUS'. The lights were on, despite the sunlight, flickering from pink to yellow to blue every few seconds. The distinct smell of spun sugar and popcorn that lingered in the air probably came from somewhere in there.

A much smaller tent sat not too far away to the left of it. A single pink flag hung on a small pole on top of the tent, waving happily in the frigid air. Two magenta banners hung from poles either side of the small structure, golden emblems that seemed like something straight off a tarot card imprinted in the centre. A wooden sign stood near the entrance, painted white-gloved hands gesturing to a sapphire blue crystal ball highlighted by the purple border, a vibrant yellow arrow with twinkling golden lights pointing to the pink curtains.

A mysterious purple wagon stood on the other side of the grassy plateau. The same gold symbol was engraved into one of the wooden walls, a detailed golden border outlining each of the vibrant panels. A small circular window sat in the middle of the wall closest to you, warm light seeping through the glass. It seemed like the sort of place a circus actor would live.

Almost as if on cue, a gloved hand slithered out through the gap between the curtains of the larger tent, pushing one of the pink panels of fabric to the side. Your eyes snapped to the tent as a rather... odd-looking... person stepped out into the cold.

He seemed completely unbothered by the thick layer of snow coating the ground, despite it reaching the top of his black boots. He wore what was clearly a ringmaster's outfit; a black coat with a dark purple collar and cuffs, a black top hat with a purple ribbon wrapped around it, dark purple trousers, a white blouse and a dark lavender vest with gold buttons. His short black hair was slicked back, it suited his chiselled jawline and sharp nose quite well.

The strange individual glanced around at the scenery before looking at you, mismatched irises meeting yours. His eyes were... pretty, in a weird sort of way. The right was an icy blue, whereas the left was as dark as a cloudless night sky. It was almost unsettling.

He stared at you for a few seconds before his lips quirked up into a sly smirk. He raised one of his hands and put a finger over his mouth, motioning for you to stay quiet as he winked.

You awoke with a start, your eyes opening wide as you sat up. You were back in your room. Everything seemed normal, nothing out of place.

It was just a dream.