chapter 09 | after every decision

You woke up in Satoru's bed, the soft sheets still carrying his scent. Sunlight filtered through the curtains, casting dappled patterns of shadows on the floor. As you stirred, your head pounded with a heavy, throbbing ache. Fragments of last night's events swam hazily in your mind.

The clock on the bedside table read noon.

You sat up and looked over your shoulder. The sheets on the other side were crumpled. Satoru must had slept beside you. But now, his side was empty, the room silent except for the distant sounds of the city life outside the windows.

You swung your legs over the edge of the bed and paused briefly, hoping the throbbing in your head would ease. You could barely remember anything from last night. But you sure remembered one thing — the marks on your thighs unmistakable remnants of Satoru.

You threw on one of Satoru's loose white shirts and made your way out of the bedroom. The living space was neat, the remnants of last night's chaos nowhere in sight. Your eyes were drawn to the kitchen where Satoru stood, his back to you.

He was busy at the counter, seemingly preparing something. The morning light streaming through the window illuminated his figure, highlighting the numerous red scratches scattered across his bare back — unmistakable remnants of you.

You paused, watching him for a moment.

"I didn't know you were a calvin klein man," you remarked, eyeing the hem of his boxer shorts peeking out from his low-hanging sweatpants.

Satoru turned, his eyes met yours, a sly grin forming on his lips. "Where are you staring at?"

You walked closer. "Where your pants at?"

As you reached the table, you let yourself sink into a chair. A glass of water and an array of pills were neatly arranged in front of you.

"How are you feeling?"

"Like I've been hit by a truck," you said, rubbing your temples.

"Take these," he gestured toward the pills. "They'll help. And I'll make you some coffee. Caffeine should do some good."

You eyed the pills, suppressing a sudden feeling of nausea. You reached for the glass of water and downed the pills.

Satoru moved around the kitchen preparing the coffee. You watched, momentarily lost in the captivating display of his back muscles, shifting and flexing with each movement. His hair was slightly tousled, his forearms flexed, revealing defined muscles and veins.

He turned to you with two steaming mugs of coffee, the rich aroma filling the kitchen. "Here," he said, handing you a mug. "This should help clear your head."

You accepted it with a faint smile, the warmth of the mug seeping into your hands. Satoru fumbled in his sweatpants pocket and pulled out a small flashlight. "Let me just check something real quick."

He turned on the light and flickered it in front of your eyes. You blinked, startled by the sudden brightness. "Satoru, I'm okay."

He ignored your protest, carefully checking your pupils before turning off the light. He gently cupped your chin, turning your head first to one side, then to the other, observing your eyes closely. "Any dizziness when I do this?"

"No."

He then placed his hand against your forehead. "You don't have a fever, do you?"

"No," you said as his hand already moved from your forehead to under your jaw, his fingers checking your lymph nodes.

"You want a saline drip?"

"What? No."

Satoru met your gaze, his fingers still working gently around your neck. "Works wonders sometimes."