TEN.

"Jun." You greeted cordially, smiling even though all Jun had on was another fake smile—one that you longed to punch out of his face.

"[Name]." He sighed. "Why are you back so late?"

"Why don't you ask your council members?" You shot back, turning off the lights, leaving you two drenched in darkness—before you felt a slight rustle and the lights were turned on again. "They are bickering about some stuff now."

Jun frowned. "Who are you even talking about?"

"At the basketball court," you said simply, "Kaen. Inei—anyways, it's utterly irrelevant. You don't need to know about any of those, so..."

Jun rolled his eyes, before he settled back at his desk. You were deeply surprised to see him still up at such an ungodly hour—he was extremely studious, just like how he looked. He was poring over several textbooks, flipping through them with impressive concentration. You glanced over, seeing how one of his papers was still empty.

"Why are you ogling me like that?" Jun scowled, "tell me what it says, then." He jabbed at the blank piece of paper—it was clearly intended to be a mockery. Because a blank piece of paper was obviously not able to be read aloud.

Instead, you squinted at it. Your mother taught you the intricacies of secret messages, and you learned there was the kettle method where you ironed out a piece of paper and words would appear, and the orange method. There was no scent indicating any of those, so you assumed it really was a blank piece of paper.

But you didn't let it deter you and picked up the paper with exaggerated detail.

"Hey, I think I know what this says," you grinned.

"What?"

"It says...oh!" You snapped your fingers. "For you to stop being a jerk and to actually be cordial to me. You know, since you barely know me and your smiles have been nothing but fake?"

Jun glared at you and snatched the paper out of your hands. He really longed for the day he would see you miserable...

"Seriously though, what the fuck did I even so wrong?" You muttered under your breath, "low blow. It's not like I even blew up any of your mansions..."

Last time you really did blow up someone's house (that person was running away from life imprisonment) and up to now the whole family still hated you. You supposed it was justified though.

"Beat me in the exams," Jun said, which surprised you, "then you will earn my respect."

Isn't that kind of easy, though? You wondered. Oh, maybe Jun was being nice! He was trying to offer you a chance...

"Sure," you nodded your head, yawning. "Challenge accepted."

Surprise flickered briefly in Jun's eyes as he registered this. You had accepted. You. The foolish, easy going person who...

"No. Let's make it a bet," Jun snarled, "I can't be the only one incurring losses. If I beat you, you will do whatever I want. You will listen to whatever I say." His tone was sharp, challenging, and genuine.

You could feel his hate simmering and boiling—targeted towards you.

"Fine." You sighed. "Happy now? Gosh, if a simple bet was all that you needed to at least talk to me, then I would have done it way sooner..."

"You haven't even started revision yet, and you're behind on classes because you kept getting hurt."

"Yup," you popped the 'p', glancing at him. "And who's fault do you think it is? Your fellow council members."