43

43 - Tempted By Fire

ZARA

          "You're what?"

I'm sure the expression on my face didn't even begin to show the level of shock I felt as I stared at the woman before me. Rebecca shrugged as if she hadn't said something completely groundbreaking.

"Yeah, we went all the way," she said as she fixed herself a cup of coffee. "No point in holding out when we're going against destiny."

"But... but you both just met each other," I said with wide eyes.

Again, she shrugged. "Yeah, but we're mates and at the end of the day, we're meant to be together."

"But you were both rogues," I stated bluntly, "and now he may be... well, I don't know."

She laughed and turned to look at me, hand on hip.

"Zara, we're mates for crying out loud. If you think I'm not going to fuck the life out of my mate every chance I get, then you don't know me very well," she said with a smirk.

I shuddered at the image of my brother and my best friend having sex – an image I certainly didn't need. Then my eyes strayed to her neck where her new mark was.

"So marked and mated," I voiced.

"And happier than I've ever been," she grinned.

"You better be," a new voice emerged from behind me.

Luca immediately went to Rebecca with a smirk, and his hands started exploring just as fast as hers did.

"Ugh, guys come on," I groaned as I covered my eyes. "I'm standing right here."

"Oh, darling you don't know the half of it," Anastasia interjected as she made her way to the fridge, her red hair flowing like a cape behind her.

"We're not that bad," Rebecca objected, giggling when Luca engulfed her and snuggled in her neck.

"You're right," Ana nodded in agreement as she took the orange juice to her lips, "You're worse."

I shook my head at the pair and folded my arms, still dumbfounded at how close they got.

My wolf stirred within me, longing for the same with my own mate.

Why won't you let us be happy? she whined, and in that instant, my mind was flooded with images of Haden and I. Scenes of our lips connecting, hands gripping and grabbing, the familiar feeling of my heart pounding against my chest.

Cut it out, I growled at her as I shook my head and refocused on the room.

"So what are you really doing here, Zee?" Luca asked with a brow raised.

I shrugged, mentally shaking the feeling of desire away and looked at him with a serious expression.

"There's something you need to know about the man who killed our family,"

The carefree expression on his face almost wiped away instantly.

"Luca, he's... he's the Rogue King," I finished, "whoever that man was back then, he grew himself into the Rogue King and tore packs apart."

"So the madness started way back then. Lovely," Ana huffed.

"But why would he attack our family first? What kicked everything into gear, or better yet what was he looking for when he attacked?"