risk of death

Yuko is four and a half when she learns the word duty.

Her father, Koen, is king Raynor's protector, his Shield, as he's often called in the halls, his right hand man. He had been his most loyal servant even before Raynor was crowned, they've known each other for years. He's his most trusted counselor, sharing thoughts not usually allowed by non-royal people, cracking mad jokes during the longest meetings with foreign ambassadors so the tension disappears. His knowledge about different weapons and tactics is incontestable, and the amount of times he has saved the king in any way cannot be counted. He's proud of his duty, but she doesn't really understands what it means yet.

So one day, she enters her father's study, where he's busy polishing his finest sword. The moment Koen sees her, he puts the weapon away - his wife would have never forgiven him if their children got hurt because of his... incompetence with handling weapons around the youngest members of their family - and asks about her day, spent in the young prince's company. She answers with a smile, but then gives him a questionning look.

-Dad, what is this word Kuki used? Dute?

-No, my brave, it's duty- he puts her on his lap, hands firm on her back.

She repeats the word under her breath. It's cool and bitter and heavy and leaves the faintest trace of sweetness in her mouth, it frightens her yet she finds it intriguing.

-You heard Kuki use it, right? Why?

-She said duty keeps you away from us. I don't understand...

The tall man thinks for a moment, then finally speaks.

-You know I spend most of my time with Raynor.

-Yes! Mo telled me about it, you're best friends, right?

-It's "told me" - don't give that look! - and yes, I'm his best friend, but first and foremost I'm his Shield and advisor. It's my duty to make sure he's safe and doesn't do anything... unwise- he can't really say to a small child that the king too acts stupid sometimes, she'll grow to have her own opinions. -Hmm, how can I explain it to you... I know!

Yuko's bright pink eyes are focused on him.

-You see, duty is something you choose to do from the bottom of your heart. You dedicate your life to fulfilling the obligation you've chosen, sometimes risking your relations, your future. Being a Shield and advisor requires being within your king's hand reach at all times, and you must be ready to sacrifice everything for them, even... even your life if it will ensure your liege's safety. It's an honour, but also a great responsibility. One day, you'll choose your own path, your own duty...

The news of the assassination attempt reach the palace when the children play in the royal gardens. They're running through the flower bushes under the queen's keen eye, as they usually do when the weather is pleasant. Suddenly they both stop, seeing a guard bowing to the queen and speaking queitly, seriousness present on his face as he gives her a full report. Queen Mayla thanks him and dismisses him, then approches the children who already know something's happened, but aren't sure what exactly.

-Mo, I suggest we take Yuko with us on a ride. Okay, sweetie?- she turns to the confused girl.

-Why? It's pretty outside, we can stay here...- the young prince tries to do something, to make Yuko stay longer with him. He knows the ride means he won't see her for some time, and he definitely doesn't like it.

-Her family requests her presence, my dear, as well as our king does. Shall we go?

Mo notices the uneasiness in his mother's eyes that quickly spreads onto Yuko, who unconsciously tries to shrink herself. He takes her hand and squeezes it and doesn't let go for the whole ride in the carriage - they can't manifest their wings yet, and even if they could, they wouldn't be strong enough to keep them flying a distance longer than the main palace hall. They arrive to the Yarrow Manor - the house of the healers, not so far from the palace itself, yet so much calmer - they don't understand why they arrived there.

Not until they both see king Raynor covered in scratches, his clothes tinted dark red as he hadn't had the time to change himself. The king shares a few words with the queen, showing her he hasn't been harmed in any way - she embraces him lightly, relieved - then he nears the children. After hugging and reassuring Mo, who tries not to show he got scared by the bloody robes, he silently leads Yuko to the building. She can feel the weight of the atmosphere on her shoulders the moment she passes through the door. She walks slowly as the king gently speaks - words such as hero, sacrifice, chance and, of course, duty are used in every second sentence, he tries his best to prepare her for what's before her. He tries, because as soon as she enters the chamber nothing matters anymore.

Her father lies perfectly still on the bed, skin pale and almost transluscent, and the only sign of him being still alive is the slight movement of his bandaged chest, up and down. Kuki, as much as she wants it, cannot contain her emotions and cries next to their mother, Kallina, who sits near with face hidden behind her hands. Everyone is quiet, too quiet when the chief healer explains the situation. The king's Shield saved him from being shot by an assassin's crossbow, he took many quarrels while also fighting and his condition, for the time being, is extremely grave since the healers cannot use unicorn tears to heal his weakened body until he regains consciousness as the unicorn magic might turn to be too powerful for him to endure, and even if they could, they'd used the last ones earlier the same day and the expedition hasn't returned yet. The only thing they can do is use their best medicines and work night and day to save his life... and pray it's enough.

Hearing this, Yuko is scared, so scared, she wants to turn away and run, but her legs don't listen to her, instead they turn to lead. It's only when Mo grasps her hand tightly she snaps out of the shock and runs out, no one trying to stop her. She only halts when her muscles give up in the vast herb garden - the world spins and she finds herself on the ground, tears threatening to fall in her eyes. Her friend joins her soon.

-You're okay?- he asks, concern on his face.

-No, I'm not. My dad... he's, he's...

-He saved mine. I know, I know...

-Do you think...?- she doesn't end the question, gritting her teeth instead.

-Your father is strong, he's stronger than anyone in the world, even my father! He'll be okay...

His words aren't enough to convince her, she looks as if she's about to shatter like a crystal figurine he's once seen fall from the counter. He hates the thought and immediately takes her in his arms, putting her head close to his heart - she freezes upon hearing the steadiness of his heartbeat, how strongly and surely it beats. He's conscious he can't really help her, he's too small to do so and too weak, but he can't fail her. He can't.

-It's difficult, I know... so just focus on me, okay? Everything will be fine, I'm sure...

She decides to trust him, to let him be her anchor. As she cries her heart out in the garden, sun setting around, she decides to always be there for the boy who was there for her. No matter how hard it may be in the future.