You Came Through

Miles had just got off the phone with his basketball coach. He inhaled and looked at his mom who was clutching a kitchen towel in anticipation. "So?" She asked. Miles broke out into a big smile. "I'm playing!" Miles responded. Rio squealed in excitement and hugged her son. "Okay. Pack your bags. You're going to New Jersey!" Rio told him as she pulled away. "Yup. Hey, do you think Pete will ever come to one of my basketball games?" Rio hit him with her kitchen towel. "Oh, hijo. You ruined the mood." She joked. Peter never went to any of Miles' games. Then her smile fell as she responded thoughtfully. "Why don't you ask him if he'll come?" Miles sighed. "I always ask him. He always says he'll come... But he never does."

"Well, no harm in trying some more. Go pack okay?"

"Sí mama..." Miles nodded and walked to his room where Gankee was laying on his bed scrolling through his phone. The other boy looked up and smiled. "Hey. So...?"

"I'm playing." Miles responded with less excitement than before. Gankee's eyes lit up. "Let's go Miles! That's great. But, why do you look so down?" Miles shrugged and took out his duffel bag. "Well, I've always wanted Pete to come to just one of my games but... He never does. I mean, I get he's Spider-Man and all, and --- You know what? I'm being selfish." Miles huffed and threw some random clothes into his bag. Gankee stayed silent. "Well... I could see why you would want Mr. Parker to come to one of your games. It's like a little brother wanting his older brother to be proud of something he accomplished. And to see how far the little brother has come."

"Actually Gankee. That's pretty point on. Come up with that yourself?"

"Um, I saw it in a Tiktok...?" Miles chuckled. Of course he did. Miles smiled at his friend then zipped up his bag. "I can bring along a friend so you're coming with right?"

"Uh. Duh! Wouldn't miss it for the world!" Gankee quickly ran out of the apartment announcing that he needed to pack and that Miles could pick him up at his place. "Okay! See ya Gank!"

Meanwhile Rio was on the phone with Peter. "So. It would mean the world to Miles if you stopped by to see him play. I'll by you a ticket to the game." Rio heard him sigh. "Ms. Morales. I would love to. But it's in New Jersey. That's a bit far."

"I know. But just come to see him play at least one night out of three. Please. It would mean so much to him." Rio held back a groan as Peter firmly stated that he was unable to go to one of Miles' games. "What about Friday?" She pressed on still.

"I can't."

"Saturday?"

"No. I told MJ that I'd take her out."

"Sunday then?"

"I'm sorry Ms. Morales. I just can't make one of Miles' games. Tell him that I'm really sorry. I've gotta go. See you when you get back." Peter hung up. Rio held back tears that threatened to spill as she clicked her phone off and threw it on the couch. "Was that Pete?" Miles asked suddenly. She didn't even know that he was standing there. Rio nodded and went to the kitchen. "What did he say?"

"I'm sorry m'hijo. He can't come."

"Oh. It's okay then. I know he's super busy." Rio saw the tears in his eyes before he retreated to his room. She sighed.

      Miles was on the team bus heading for New Jersey with the rest of the B.V.A basketball team. Everyone was chatting excitedly about the game the next night. "My brother and sister are coming back from the army just to see me play tomorrow night and Sunday night!" One boy stated, shaking the teammate beside him.

"My dad literally just told me that he'll be cheering me on from the bleachers. And he's never free." Another boy said. Tears pricked in Miles' eyes. No older sibling was going to see him play. No father to cheer him on. "Dude. You okay?" Gankee asked from beside in a concerned way. Miles quickly nodded and wiped his eyes. "Are you sure?"