Chapter One || I'm Insecure and I Care What People Think

Listen to: twenty one pilots: Stressed Out

Hinata

"Watch it," growled a boy as his shoulder bumped into mine, causing me to trip onto the floor. My books scattered across the hallways, the students mindlessly stepping on them.

I looked up timidly, giving him a soft bow. "I-I'm sorry." I apologized, reaching out to grab the books that have fallen from my grip.

"You better be." He hissed before disappearing into the crowd.

I didn't get a good look at his face, but I knew from the sound of his voice that he was one of those kids you hear from everyday. I've heard it before. Their loud laughter echoing through the cafeteria, the things they mutter when the teacher gives out homework, the way they talk back to the teacher, only ending them up in detention, or the way everyone looks up at them.

Yeah, he's one of those popular kids.

Yet, his voice had a distinctive sound to it. Maybe it's because it's a bit higher than the average teenage boy's voice.

Kind of familiar. I just can't put my finger on it.

I let out a sigh, shaking the thought out of my head as I reach my locker, placing my books inside.

Ding!

My hands reach for my pockets, grasping onto my phone before opening it to see a new message from my father.

Otōsan:

Sorry, but I will be working a little later than usual. I cannot pick you up for a couple hours. Perhaps you could stay at the school 'til then?

"Looks like I'll be staying for awhile." I muttered under my breath. I send him a quick reply, saying that I got the message and understand, before slipping my phone back into my pocket.

I took the shortest way to the school library, thinking that reading would be the best way to consume time. As I reached the door, I peeked inside only to see that no one was there. I let out a sigh of relief, finding my usual spot in the corner behind a long shelf of books.

After about an hour of reading, the lights suddenly shut off. I gave a squeak as I felt as if someone ran across to the door. I heard a loud bang, and then two, then three. There was a low grunt, until the noise stopped altogether.

I'm not alone. I was never alone.

I quickly, but quietly, stepped away from my little spot, and slowly walked towards the door, trying to create as little sound as possible.

To my surprise, no one was there.

Was I hearing things?

"Hello?" I whispered in a timid voice, as if I was in one of those horror movies before the murderer pops up behind them.

Taking a small step forward, I decided to speak again. A little louder this time. "He-" Before I could finish, I shrieked in surprise as I felt a hand get placed on my shoulder. I whipped around, only for my eyes to meet blue ones.

"You're that girl." Was the first thing he said.

My eyes widened as I quickly recognized who he was.

He had spiky yellow-blonde hair, striking blue eyes, and those definable whisker marks on his cheeks, as if he were one of those mainstream girls wearing a cat costume on Halloween.

"N-Naruto...-kun," I murmured under my breath. He gave me a confused look, then shrugged it off, his face turning from confused to nervous.

"I think we're...um, trapped inside the school library." He gave a sheepish grin, rubbing the back of his neck.