Chapter 1

Light in the dark

The sound of footsteps was carried down the gloomy hallway.

The black leather shoes shone in the soft light emitting from the torches on the walls. The torches cast morphed shadows up on the roof of the dark hallway. The black marble glistened. The sound from the footsteps ceased.

A door opened and the footsteps sounded again. They stopped after a few seconds. The doors closed behind them.

The albino white skin stood in big contrast to the black hair. The hair covered the intense black eyes. The hair reached down to the shoulders with bangs that covered the forehead. A dark beard covered the cheeks and chin. The dark eyes searched the fields below the balcony. Hands were folded on the back. The black robes moved as the evil souls moved in the cloth. The eyes were trained on one soul, wandering the fields aimlessly. The soul wandered around confused. It's light flickering every second like a flame, as if it was about to die out. The howls of pain from the souls in the Fields of Punishment filled the air.

The man's eyes were trained on the flickering soul in the Fields of Asphodel. A small smirk appeared on his lips.

I sat up with a start. I clenched my shirt tightly in my hand as I breathed hard. My heart raced. I gazed around in the quiet cabin. Everyone was still asleep. I inhaled deeply and leaned back in the bed onto my back and stared up at the ceiling. I swallowed and wiped my forehead. I closed my eyes and groaned lightly before reaching over to the nightstand and look at the watch. 03:15 am. I let go of the watch and let it fall back onto the table. I fell back into my pillow and groaned. There was zero chance that I could fall asleep now. I know, ironic coming from a child of Hypnos, the God of Sleep. I pushed the duvet aside and threw my legs over the bed. My bare feet landed on the cold floor. The snores from my two other cabin mates was the only sound in the dark cabin. Funny to think I'm the only one who doesn't sleep all the time. Or not. Depends on who you ask. I stood up and walked across the floor. The violin played softly as always. I yawned and opened my chest where I searched for a pair of socks. I pulled out a white pair and shuffled back to the bed, where I sat down and put them on.

I pulled on my shoes and walked over to the door. I grabbed my jacket from the peg. I pulled it on and opened the door and left the cabin. The cold night breeze blew softly against my face. I began walking. I gazed at the other cabins. They were all dark, no light was behind the windows. My gaze moved up to the Big House in the distance. A faint light shone out of the windows where the living room would be. I shook my head and turned the opposite way. My feet carried me down the well-worn path. I stopped to take my shoes off, then continued walking. My feet dug into the cold sand. The sounds of the waves crashing against the shore was the only sound in the night. It was calming.

I stopped in front of the statue. My eyes trailed the body of the deceased hero. His gaze rested on the horizon over the water. I dumped down next to the statue and placed my shoes next to me. I looked out over water. I let out a sigh.

"I'm sorry." I spoke. I glanced at the hero. Annabeth had designed the statue, so he was sitting. Not standing up like a regular statue of the Greek heroes. He was sitting, so you could sit and have a talk with him - not like he'd answer though. Somehow, she had captured the mischievous glint in his eyes perfectly and the goofy smile that promised trouble. He looked peaceful as he gazed over the water. "It's my fault that you're gone. If I had just..." I sighed. If I had just what? It was not like I could actually have done anything. I was controlled. Just like Percy was. He just suffered a worse fate than mine. It was unfair. Zeus killed him because he did not trust the demigod. Even after he had fought two wars for him. But me? Zeus trusted me. Why? I did not know. It was not like I had done anything heroic. I had been controlled, what heroic was there to that? Nothing.